Author Topic: Donald & Lizzie MacAskill - South Uist  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Donald & Lizzie MacAskill - South Uist
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
A possible for 1891?

MCPHEE MALCOLM 26
644/12 1/ 12 Gorbals, Lanark

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie,

I'll get the Boisdale birth cert and see what it says. Is it possible Johanna was married on the 1861 census for Barra? or Boisdale? I shall have to look and see if I can find it.

Kind regards,

Howard
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
I have the Boisdale birth certificate.

Malcolm Macphee born 26 Feb 1864 illegitimate son of Catherine Macphee, domestic servant. Kilpheder, South Uist.

Howard
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
I've looked on the 1861 census for Kilpheder and it looks as if Catherine Macphee was then the sixteen year old daughter of James and Margaret Macphee who kept the Inn at Kilpheder.

Howard

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 October 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
Howard,

Did you notice if there was a RCE on the birth for Malcolm?

A RCE now shows as something like 'Correction' (I can't remember exactly) but it will be above the header with his name.

I know some people often don't notice it i.e. worth a check?

I will check my transcriptions to see what's what but Johanna has children born post 1861 the youngest being Mary aged 1 in 1871.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 October 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
This marriage would fit Johanna from the 1871 census.

MCPHEE RODERICK
MCGILL JOAN
108/ 8
Barra

I don't know if Roderick was related to James MacPhee 50 (Innkeeper) but in 1861 in the household of James with dau Catherine 16 there's a Chirsty MacPhee 23, Domestic Servant & Flora MacPhee 30, Ag. Lab both born Barra

James MacPhee has his PoB as S/U on 1861 but he is listed in 1851 at Croft 287 Kilpheder as being from Borve, Barra  :-\
James' father is named as Neil.

Roderick 25 (PoB Barra) & Joan MacPhie 22 are at Glen, Barra 1861.

Annie

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 October 17 07:59 BST (UK) »
Annie,

Smerclate to Kilpheder, home to 4 % of the world's breeding population of corn crakes and Barra, homeland of pirates. All very exciting.

I note on the 1901 census that Catherine Macphee is unmarried and living with her brother Norman and his family in Kilpheder. Malcolm Macphee is married with children and living on Barra. (No RCE on Malcolm's birth registration)

I am trying to work out the relationship if any between James Macphee (year of birth variable between 1809 and 1813/5) and Johanna's husband  Roderick Macphee but there is from what you've found an enduring connection between James and his family in Kilpheder with the Macphees in Barra.

Very many thanks for all your hard work.

Regards,

Howard

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Howard...

After much searching & checking MacPhee households, I'm sure I have found your Malcolm listed with his mother & g/parents at Croft 322 Kilpheder & it helpfully gives his birth yr as 1864;D

Catherine was not a young mother as her b yr is given as 1823 (d 1899) i.e. would have been c 40 yrs when Malcolm was born  :P

Her parents were Neil MacPhee c1780 d c1845 & Ann MacAulay c1791 d 1877 who had 11 of a family!

Malcolm seems to disappear i.e. possibly immigrated? There are a few on Immigration & Travel on Fancestry but I don't have a prescription  ;D
I haven't checked English census' either.

Curiosity was too much & I checked this death which turned out not to be him  :( ...

MACPHEE MALCOLM 26
644/9 803 Kelvin

There's another 2 which are probably not him with cross checking births & census info.

This would be worthwhile...

www.oldscottish.com/south-uist.html

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kvy/

I can post more on the family if interested?

Just to add, Catherine's brother Donald married my g g/aunt Janet Currie & they immigrated to Ontario, Canada 1850s.

Annie

Added...It was very common for illegitimate children to take the surname of their father in later life i.e. a Uist haystack possibly  ::)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
'If I'd known then what I know now'...

Plenty of info. here  ;)

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~alexmacphee/macphee/d1.html

Sadly nothing further on Malcolm  ::)

Annie