Author Topic: Location of 108 (Br) General Hospital 1945  (Read 1588 times)

Offline thomasgatherer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Location of 108 (Br) General Hospital 1945
« on: Saturday 07 October 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where the 108 British General Hospital was located in 1945.  I know it was somewhere around the Brussels area. My father in law was admitted to it and I would also like to know when, and for what reason.  Are there medical records or admission registers?
gatherer, Bingham, Irwin

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location of 108 (Br) General Hospital 1945
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
This from ScarletFinders.co.uk:

108 British General Hospital
Woolwich 7/43 to 3/44 then to Naburn; Naburn 3/44 to 7/44 then to Ranchy; Ranchy 7/44 to 10/44 then to Brussels; Brussels 10/44 to 18/6/46 then disbanded.

See: http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/112.html
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 23:03 BST (UK) »
You could try to access the War Diary in Kew as this would tell you.  The other good source is the relevant volume of The Army Medical Services by FA Crew.  I got a copy from inter library loan in the UK but that was for India and Burma.

The 8th General Hospital had arrived in Brussels on 11th September 1944 shortly after the city was liberated and was in buildings currently occupied by the St Pierre University Hospital.  The 108th BGH arrived in October 1944.

Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline thomasgatherer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
I take it that  "The Army Medical Services" is a reference work and FA Crew the author. I'll have to wait to visit Kew as I'm in Glasgow.

Do you know if there are any medical records for individuals still available?
gatherer, Bingham, Irwin

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 October 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes, you are right on the book.  It is a series of volumes of the Official War History.  It comes up if you google it and Abebooks have some volumes for sale as well but I couldn't see the volume that covered France and Belgium in 1944-5.  Volume V which covers India and Burma is very detailed and a great resource. 
There are a couple of guys who will photograph the war diaries for you for a fee but still much cheaper than the National Archives or a trip from Glasgow.  One posts here called Drew and if you look n WWII Talk there are one or two others.  The War Diaries I have seen do not have the details of individuals in them as that would be confidential (and too much as they had up to a thousand patients at any one time).  I think you best bet for medical records is that his hospital visits and illnesses may be on his personal records from the MOD.  Have you ordered them?
Have you looked on FindMyPast to see if he was wounded?
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline F.Denyse Bélanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am new to this forum and did not think for a moment that someone in the world would be searching for the same information as I am.
My father, Canadian 3rd infantry Division, Régiment de la Chaudière, was wounded on the same day the German informed the Canadians of their intention to capitulate, and this, near Aurich, East Friseland, Germany, on May 3rd 1945. My father was rescued by the medical staff of the 108th British General Hospital, and stayed in the Brussels hospital from May 3rd to May 9 1945. He was then transferred to Bruges (St. Andries),  12th Canadian General Hospital. This hospital was occupied by the Nazie before the liberation of Brussels and Bruges. The Canadian medical team occupied it after. He stayed there until May 30th 1945. I am trying to find information about how the staff and the wounded celebrated the end of ww2. Belgium was liberated, but there were lots of wounded in the the Belgium Hospital and other hospitals. **The building in St-Andries still exists. It is located at 150 Zandstrasse and is a Centre for Illegal Immigrants. The building is very nice.
I will be in Brussels and Bruges in 2020 to visit the surroundings of the two hospital.
F. Denyse Bélanger

Offline bunkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I contacted the Canadian Red Cross to see if they could help you.   They suggested  you contact the archives of the International Committee of the Red Cross.  They have archives.
Here is there website
https://www.icrc.org/en/document/contacting-icrc-archives
Hope this helps.
Bunkie
MATERNAL Bouldry, Benson, Armstrong, Estes, Harlow, Thompson, Sproule, Standish, Warren, Maxim, Wilbore, Woods, Lovejoy, Gurney, Bourne, Lindstrom, Sturtevant, McCallum
PATERNAL De Chambeau, Waters, Sullivan, Snell, Jennings, Morrison, Plestid, Roberts, McKenzie, O'Brien, Alden, Mullins, White, Stone, Neafus, Holman, Manning, King, Barton