Author Topic: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location  (Read 11504 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 October 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
Kailey,  could be some connection to the British Fisheries Society,

http://www.angusmacleodarchive.org.uk

Skoosh.

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 04:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh, I've checked it out but no luck. What I did find, however, by finding their first daughter's birth record, is that Norman and Isabella lived in Kinlochewe, of Torridon. In 1789 apparently that area was expanded to attract fishing families to the area.

Here's a question for the group. I have seen this town (I think) listed on a few of their documents, but not a single google search comes back for it. It might be slightly misspelled but this is as close as I can get it: Arinacrinnord. Any ideas? It should be nearby Torridon/Gairloch/Applecross.
Morison (Isle of Lewis), Mclennan (Torridon), Mcleod (Scourie), McCallum (Durness), McInnes (Harris), McGillivray / McIntosh (Daviot & Dunlichity)

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 08:30 BST (UK) »

Arinacrinachd.

It's a crofting area on the south shore of Loch Torridon between Fearnbeg and Kenmore.
MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 01:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Agnes!

Small update: I've realized by finding the 1841 census where Norman is listed with his family, that in the section that asks if he was born in the same county, he has it ticked "Y" for Yes. So that helps narrow down where I should be looking for a birth record...though it doesn't seem to exist.

I also compared the traditional naming practices for Highlander families at the time and his children don't follow the pattern at all - even with consideration of possible children who died. So I feel less confident that his father might have been named Murdoch.

I guess my next step is to try and find more information or records from Kinlochewe, since I now suspect he was born there. Still unable to find a birth record to prove it or to identify his parents. If anyone has any tips for this specific area in Ross & Cromarty, please let me know. Feeling like I might need to take a trip to Scotland again soon.
Morison (Isle of Lewis), Mclennan (Torridon), Mcleod (Scourie), McCallum (Durness), McInnes (Harris), McGillivray / McIntosh (Daviot & Dunlichity)

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 02:02 BST (UK) »
warning- the 1841 census for Scotland lists where you were living as where you were from
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 02:06 BST (UK) »
Really?! The instruction in the column I'm getting this from reads: "If born in Scotland, state whether from county or otherwise." And his says,  "Y" along with most others on his census page.

Did they do it incorrectly?

Also, it's dawning on me, that the Isle of Lewis is still part of the same country? Is that right? If so, saying 'yes' to that wouldn't discount the Lewis connection (to which my family mythology claims).

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
Lewis was part of R & C, Harris was Inverness-shire. Cromarty was in several pieces which were amalgamated with Ross.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 November 17 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I am still struggling to use the information I've found on Norman and Isabella's marriage record to find his parents. Right now, I have record and know that Norman was married at age 23 in Applecross. He marriage record, I believe, reads "Of Torridon." Would this mean a birth place, or just where his home at the time was?
Warning bells! If the so-called 'record' you have found includes the word 'Of' you must not trust it. Did you find it on Family Search? What FS does is index records that come into their hands. If they have a marriage listing, they regularly assume that the people involved are 'Of' wherever they were living at the time of marriage. They also assume that the couple were of certain ages - I thought it was 25 for a man and 21 for a woman but it could be 23 and 21 - at the time of marriage.

BTW don't read anything into variations of spelling, like Norman/Normand, Morison/Morrison, Murdoch,Murdo or Mac/Mc.

warning- the 1841 census for Scotland lists where you were living as where you were from
No, it does not. The question asked in Scotland in 1841 was whether or not the person was born in the county where they were living, or in England, Ireland, Wales or foreign parts. You get 'Y' if they were born in the same county, 'N' if they were born in the same country but a different county, 'E' for England, 'W' for Wales, 'I' for Ireland, ('S' for Scotland in the E and W census) and 'F' for anywhere else.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 November 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

The record I found was on Scotland's People and it is the actual document itself. I've also found him listed as 'of' Torridon/Kinlochewe, in a handwritten note about his marriage. He is listed 'of' a different place than his wife, so it is definitely not simply the place of marriage.

I understand that it's asking if you were born in the same county. What I'd like to know, is if in 1790, the Isle of Lewis was PART of the county of Ross and Cromarty. Does anyone know?

If it wasn't, this would tell me that Norman was born on the mainland. If it was, the mystery continues.

Thank you!

Kailey