Author Topic: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location  (Read 11504 times)

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all. I've inherited a family tree from my grandmother, that goes back to Norman MORRISON born 1790 in Scotland. He married Isabella MCLENNAN in 1813. I am descended from their 5th child, William Morrison.

Most of Norman's children were born in APPLECROSS, but he and his wife died in GAIRLOCH. All of their children were born and died in Applecross. However, their marriages seemed to have all taken place in Gairloch. And, Norman and Isabella both died in Gairloch too. It seems like a lot of movement between the two. Given the historical context, I'm trying to figure out why. Any ideas?

Most of all, I'd love to get a generation further back from Norman Morrison. I already know Isabella's parents' names - Mary McKenzie and Norman McLennan.

I'm going to be using the resources here to see if I can find it myself (as the general searches online haven't produced anything) but if you have any tips/info about any of this or these people, please let me know.

Kailey

P.S. I know this forum says ~1850 so if I should be posting this elsewhere, please advise :)
Morison (Isle of Lewis), Mclennan (Torridon), Mcleod (Scourie), McCallum (Durness), McInnes (Harris), McGillivray / McIntosh (Daviot & Dunlichity)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 17 10:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

What year did Norman die?  If he died from 1855 onwards his parents should be named on his death cert which can be downloaded from Scotland’s People

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 October 17 10:43 BST (UK) »
Kailey,  possibly Lewis going by the name?

Skoosh.

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
The death date has two different optional years listed (not sure why) - one is listed as 1841 and the other 1851. Either way, seems like before 1855. I will still check Scotland's People - thank you for the suggestion, Carole!

And yes Skoosh, I have seen it written as Norman Morrison "of Lewis" but I wasn't sure if that definitely meant he was born on the Isle of Lewis or if it was just an ancestral thing.

I've wondered if it's possible they were part of the expulsion of Morrisons from the Isle in 1790s. I've only been skeptical of this because from what I read almost all Morrisons from Lewis settled in the Duirness and Edderachyllius area, but it looks like he spent most of his life between Gairloch and Applecross...but of course that doesn't discount it.

Do you know if there are specific resources for tracing families on Lewis? Thanks Skoosh!
Morison (Isle of Lewis), Mclennan (Torridon), Mcleod (Scourie), McCallum (Durness), McInnes (Harris), McGillivray / McIntosh (Daviot & Dunlichity)

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 03:31 BST (UK) »
An update: thank you for the suggestion to check out Scotlands People. I found Norman Morrison's wife Isabella's death record. It included information we didn't know, which includes Norman's occupation (general merchant) and also her father's occupation (crofter).

It also contradicts the birth date we have for her, if her age recorded on the death was correct.

Her death record is the closest I've gotten to a record of Norman himself, so his parents and birth are still a mystery. Any tips/suggestions welcome. Will keep searching and will pass Isabella's death record onto my grandmother. Thank you!

P.S. Also found William's marriage record to Mary Campbell. His generation seems much easier to find records of.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
If they followed the Scottish naming tradition (1st son named after paternal grandfather), as his first son was named Murdoch this would indicate Norman's father was named Murdoch.

A Murdoch Morrison married Christian MacLeod 14/5/1775 Durness but I can't see any sources available online for any children to this couple.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
Kailey,  for Harris & Lewis genealogy try,   http://billlawson.com/

Skoosh.

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette! That is a really helpful piece of information. Can I ask where you found that information about their marriage? I can't seem to find it on Scotland's People.

And thank you Skoosh, I'll take a look!

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
The Murdoch Morrison who married Christian MacLeod in Durness in 1775 was from Scourie, so any children are as likely to be registered in Eddrachilles as in Durness.