Author Topic: Manders Menagerie  (Read 851 times)

Offline KRusty46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manders Menagerie
« on: Tuesday 10 October 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
Help!
I am trying to find the link between my family and Manders travelling Menagerie.  It's a common story of not asking the right questions when relatives are still with us!  My grandfather John Manders Stark born in 1911 and lived in Hull.  His mother was Charlotte Ann Manders b 1882 and his grandmother was Mary Ann Manders.
When the  goose fair visited Hull my grandfather always went off to see his Manders cousins.  Mary Ann was born in Barnetby (north Lincolnshire) in 1847, she had 10 siblings and I have traced all of them and their families. I have discovered some great social history but no links to the Menagerie.
Mary Ann's father was John Manders b 1798 in Cadney (north Lincolnshire), again I have followed his siblings to no avail.  His father was Richard b 1765 approx, birthplace not known.  The only record I can find is for a Richard born in Berkswell Warwickshire.  Can anyone shed any light on the familiar story, I have a 13ft scroll! of my records and am willing to share any information. Many thanks :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manders Menagerie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
I suggest you have a read of this thread (from 2007):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=261253.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KRusty46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 19:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that info. I have already bought the Menagerie book and found it fascinating but not helpful in my case. I have read the threads you suggested but am unable to see any links, my Manders all seem to be stuck in North Lincolnshire.  Have re-posted in special interests board ( it's taken me a while to work it out). Again many thanks.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 07:43 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Debbie Crookes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have traced my husband's family back to Richard born 1765. My husband is descended from William Manders born Cadney 1801. I would love to see the info you have. Please could we be in touch.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 13:48 GMT (UK) »

The posting of e-mail addresses is forbidden here on RootsChat, so you will have to remove your email address to avoid spamming, internet abuse, identity abuse etc.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo