Author Topic: Identify Parish It is written in the Northop, Flintshire Parish Register  (Read 4031 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Identify Parish
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
Do you know where Pen y Park is? That is the parents residence. I assumed it was Northop because I thought that is where the chapel is. But in fact it is the Calvanistic Methodist Chapel of Rhosemor (near Northop). Although the mother's Parish is Northop, Pen y Park could be somewhere else.

Rhosesmor used to be in Northop parish (it isn't now)
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Do you know where Pen y Park is? That is the parents residence. I assumed it was Northop because I thought that is where the chapel is. But in fact it is the Calvanistic Methodist Chapel of Rhosemor (near Northop). Although the mother's Parish is Northop, Pen y Park could be somewhere else.

And so did Connah's Quay! It was a huge parish
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all... that makes sense. It might even have been the Pen y Park Farm which is now a fun park I think. Ellin or Eleanor Griffith was born Caerfallwch and gives her parish before marriage as Northrop. Good.
I have quite a few 'old' Lancashire families who used patronymic names.. what a headache!
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris.. I thought that.. it's the only way all the baptism and marriage entries make sense.
[/quote]

And so did Connah's Quay! It was a huge parish

[/quote]
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
I wondered why there used to be a "Northop Magistrates Court" in a village of less than 1000 when there were perfectly good courts 3 miles north and south at Flint and Mold. In fact they met at Connah's Quay which was carved off Northop in 1896 to form its own UDC.

Connah's Quay now has a population of 17000 so it's as well it was hived off. These south Flintshire parishes used to be huge - Hawarden was another, only a village but the population of 20000 odd included Queensferry Shotton Saltney Broughton and half of Buckley.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks. It takes a bit of getting your head round. I am used to searching records in small villages where people pretty much stayed put for 300 or 400 hundred years. There was one Anglican Church until mid 19th century when a couple more were added and the odd methodist chapel appeared. I know exactly where to look! Whereas in Wales, which I've pretty much just started, there are a bewildering numbering of options, especially within the non conformist chapels/churches. Finding them and any surviving records is proving a challenge. Still, very good for learning the ropes.
And very good to meet all you very knowledgeable people in this community.