Author Topic: Ann Stuart Field's death c1879, Toronto(?), Ontario, please?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ann Stuart Field's death c1879, Toronto(?), Ontario, please?
« on: Tuesday 10 October 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
I have received wonderful help in the past regarding my Stuart ancestors.  However, within my Stuart notebook, I cannot find a death entry for Ann Stuart.  I am not sure if I never included it, or if we could not find her death. Looking for the death of Ann Stuart Field, please.  We believe she was my ancestor's sibling or half-sister.
Previous post about the Stuarts and Ann http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=664484.0
While I have posted a number of times about James Stuart  :-[, I believe the above thread is the only one about Ann.  I did communicate (pm) with a kind RootsChatter who was able to find out quite a bit about the Stuart family.
----------------------
We believe the Stuart family was in New Brunswick c1846.

1851 Chinguacousy, Peel Co., Ontario (we believe this is my Stuart family)
Ann Steward, age 14, born Ireland, religion W.M.
Lived with James (age 35) and Sarah (age 32) and children (ages 7 to 4).  We believe Ann was James' and Sarah's daughter.

1861 Etobicoke, York Co., Ontario Census
Ann was not living with James and Sarah Stuart and their children

1871 Etobicoke, York West, Ontario Census
Ann was not living with Sarah Stewart (widowed) and her children

1874 Marriage, Toronto, Ontario
Ann Stewart, age 30, born Canada, married James Field, age 32 years, born England.  Both lived in Toronto. Ann's parents were James and Sarah Stewart.  Religion:  Primitive Methodist.  Rev. George Wood.  Witnesses:  Richard Chalkley and Jane Stewart, Toronto.  22 July 1874

1875 Birth, Toronto, York, Ontario
William Charles Field, born 28 May 1875.  Parents James Field and Ann Stewart, 24 Erin Street, Toronto.

1877 Death, Toronto, York, Ontario
James Field, 35 years old, born Deptford, England.  Primitive Methodist   22 April 1877
  Entry in Necropolis Cemetery: plot was purchased by Elizabeth Stuart Craik, Ann's (possible) sister.

1879 Toronto City Directory
Field, Mrs. Annie, wid Jas, 129 Agnes
Stuart, Miss Emma, dressmaker, 129 Agnes
Stuart, Miss Sarah, dressmaker, 129 Agnes

1880 Toronto City Directory
Ann is not list in the directory.
Stuart, Miss Emma, dressmaker, 129 Agnes

1881 Toronto, Ontario Census
Not living with her (possible) sisters Emma, Sarah, Rebecca and her son, Charles Field, age 6

Possibly Ann died c1879?  Any assistance with finding her death is greatly appreciated.  Apologies if her death date was previously found - I cannot locate it in my notes.   :'(
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Stuart Field's death c1879, Toronto(?), Ontario, please?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

No luck in finding a death for Ann, but I'm wondering if she remarried, and it's a marriage registration that is missing?  This is my thought process:

Walter Scott Craik is buried right next to James Field.  Elizabeth Craik didn't buy the plot with James Field in it until 1912.  Was she buying it to bury, or had buried Ann in it? Or just so Ann would have a future grave spot, as where Ann lived indicates she wouldn't be able to afford it herself.
Elizabeth was buried in St. Georges, not the Necropolis, so it wasn't to save a spot for herself, and I can't find another close family member that died around that time.
I did look through the 1912 Necropolis records for that particular grave, and no luck. While trying to look through the records for the time period when you lose sight of Ann in the directories, Familysearch bailed (too much traffic message), but it might be worth looking for anything in the area of graves B9 and B10, and hoping to find an Ann or Annie.

Of course there is always the possibility that Elizabeth bought the plot so Ann could use it in the future, but she never did.... making the page flipping a waste of time.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 October 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi bbart:

It's nice to hear from you again.  My apologies for not replying; I've had computer password issues as well as other problems.   >:(

I also thought of the possibility of Ann remarrying, but why would her son have been (temporarily?) living with his aunts in 1881?   :-\

One witness to Ann's marriage was Richard Chalkley.  Perhaps the Chalkley's were neighbours or work mates, but I noticed that one of the witnesses to Charles Field's marriage (1904) was J. E. Chalkley (apparently, Richard's son).  I've not yet found any other bits of information about the Chalkley connection that might provide clues about the Fields during the 1870s.

Either I am having other computer issues or FamilySearch is acting up again, as I cannot get it to load.  I am also having some problems with a "pay site", so perhaps it's just my computer that is acting up.  (Maybe I have too many tabs open.)   ;)

Thank you very much for the time spent looking through the Necropolis records and for your help and suggestions.  Hopefully, the websites will work for me "tomorrow" (it's now late Friday/early Saturday) and I can have another look for Ann.  Again, I apologize for not replying earlier.  Kind regards, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 October 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if you have this... but I found an obit for Charles William Field. 
RSM 220th Battalion, York Rangers, CEF.  Passed away on March 9 1950 at his home 198 Galley Ave Toronto.  Husband of Jane Carlyle Atkinson.  Father of Mrs T C Kerr (Alice), Mrs David Laughlin (Irene) of Islington and Charles William (Bill) Field of Mildland.  Member of St. George Lodge No 367 AF & AM.  Interment Park Lawn Cemetery.

Here is his tombstone
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=field&GSiman=1&GScid=639391&GRid=139415391&

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 October 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I found a short obit for Annie Chalkley, widow of Richard Chalkley.  She died on Feb 11 1920 at her home 323 Bathurst. 

Death record on familysearch says that she was 70 - born in England on 18 Sept 1849... so younger than your Annie. 
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6XHX-MK

Ontario Trust Cemetery records on familysearch say that she is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery...plot owner is Richard Chalkley.  Other listed is J E Chalkley
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D5GF-2Z?i=5&cc=1627831

Looking at other records on FS, I think Annie was Annie Watts

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Obit for sister Elizabeth Stuart Craik in 1937 doesn't mention Annie or any other sisters.  Just says she died on Dec 12 1937 at the residence of her niece Mrs A J Colbourne of 97 Marchmount road, Toronto. 

RK

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 October 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi RK:

Thank you for your lookups; they are really helpful.  We are in the midst of some time-consuming personal issues, but it might provide a much-needed distraction for me to follow up on your findings, in hope of locating a distant Field relative.  There could be a chance that they might know something about James and Annie Field.  I have access to one of the pay sites, I could start with looking for a tree for Charles William.

As you and bbart can imagine, searching for Annie has been difficult, since it was stated in two records that she was born c1837 in Ireland and c1844 in Canada.  I am continuing to look for her in the 1878-1880 cemetery records.  There is also a chance that Annie was her middle name. 

I thought I found (in the past) a couple of possibilities for Annie in the 1861 or 1871 census; I will try searching again.

Thank you for your help.  I really appreciate it.  Kind regards, Lisa

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 October 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear about your personal issues...I hope everything turns out well for you :)

I found an obituary for C William Field (Bill)... son of Charles William Field.  Globe and Mail, Aug 12 1970, page 36. 

He died in Yorkshire England on 5 Aug 1970.  Husband of Marguerite McKenzie.  Brother of Mrs T Kerr (Alice) and Mrs David Laughlin (Irene) of Toronto.  Interment Park Lawn Cemetery.  No mention of children.   

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 October 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
Both Charles William Field and Alice E Field Kerr are listed on her parents' gravestone (I posted the photo earlier).  The transcription says Alice died in 1931...the date is actually 1981. 

Obituary for Alice Ellen Kerr in the Globe and Mail on 7 Aug 1981, page 53.
She died Aug 6 1981 at St Josephs Health Centre. Wife of Thomas Kerr and mother of R of Toronto, E (Mrs D Dellow) of Lindsay and C (Mrs D Walker) of Thornhill.  Grandmother of 6.  Interment Park Lawn Cemetery.  So... there are descendants :)

RK