Author Topic: Methodist or Anglican baptism Llanrhudd/Llynrhydd  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Methodist or Anglican baptism Llanrhudd/Llynrhydd
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Robert Ellis was married in 1807 in at Connah's Quay, Northop, Flint. The Register says both parties are of the Parish of Northop. I think the marriage was in an Anglican Church. The FindMyPast image unhelpfully does not say and there is no archive reference. But, the Register is printed similar to anglican ones post Hardwick. His first child Mary is bapt. 1810 in Northop quite definitely in a Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Rhosemor). Three other baptisms follow in the same chapel. However, on this Register his Parish is named as Llanrhudd, which I think is near Ruthin, Denbighshire.
I'm assuming that this was his birth parish. I'm trying to trace a baptism for him. Searching Ancestry brings up no result until 1800 which is too late.
A search on FindMyPast produces 13 results between 1780-1790. However, none of them are in Llanrhudd. GENUKI tells me that records for Llanrhudd were listed with Ruthin, but there are no results for Ruthin either.
Also, these are only (I imagine) anglican baptisms. If Methodist I will have to find out where these registers are held. TNA have most in RG4 but they should also be available on Ancestry, where I can't find a result. Clwyd FHS have transcripts of some Denbighshire non conformist records but not early enough.
I can't plump for one of the 13.. it is rather a leap with no other evidence to link it to the Robert Ellis  who is in Northop in 1807.
I can't find him in the 1841 Census either, though it is perfectly possibly that he was deceased by then. There are several deaths registered at Holywell which could be him, even one with an estimated dob of 1790.
Any suggestions?
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Methodist or Anglican baptism Llanrhudd/Llynrhydd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Pre 1837, all marriages, with the exception of Jewish or Quaker, took place in Anglican churches, in England and Wales. 

Baptisms and burials could take place in any denominational church/chapel.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I think I knew that as it was the only way to make a marriage legal. However, I'd forgotten it as far as Robert Ellis's marriage goes! So that is clear.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
Initially, the Ruthin records were not on FindMyPast**. I'm not sure what the position is now.

I do have the available non-c records to 1837* for Denbighshire from the Clwyd FHS on my other machine so will look shortly. If I recall correctly, there are some marriages on there.

Gadget

** I think there were objections from local officials

* the Blackwell Index
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
If FindMyPast haven't got access to the Llanrhydd records, there are booklets available from Clwyd FHS for the parish from 1608:

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/publications/registers-books.htm#Ll
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Nothing showing in Blackwell.

I notice that Jill Rose's website : http://www.clwydsurnames.org.uk/  does have some index refs for Ellis in the Clwyd Llanrhydd booklets but no details.  Willdo some more digging.

Added - Nothing in RG4/non-conformist records but you could try again  ~ http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2972 *

* however, I shall beforever grateful to you for making me re-look there for my 2xgreat grandfather's baptism - found in Llanuwchllyn with correct parents :)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget
The Clwyd Publications look the likeliest for the baptism, if it did take place in Llanrhudd... which is not at all certain!
I tried the RG4 on Ancestry.. no luck and I think Blackwell Index only starts in 1810. Robert Ellis must have been born before 1790 I think.. even that would make him aged 17 on marriage.
And I could contact Jill Rose about her list. There is a Robert Ellis Llanrhudd as you say.
I do wish our ancestors would leave a note if they move out of their Parish ..'Dear future gt x grandson/grandaughter. I'm leaving Llanrhudd for Northop because I hear there is some work there .. Love Robert'.. that would do it.
We can dream!