Author Topic: best family tree program  (Read 3009 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: best family tree program
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 October 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Another question is, "can I export just *part* of my tree as a GEDCOM?" I  tried Family Tree Maker some years ago, and it would only export the complete tree.

I'm still using FTM V6 (old Broderbund version) and it will export just parts of trees, although I must admit that how to do so isn't all that obvious.  The trick is to generate a tree (as in descendant, all in one, hourglass etc) and tweak the generations etc to display just the individuals you want to export, then while the tree is displayed select file, copy/export individuals in tree.

Should you ever want to go back to FTM I imagine the functionality is still there.
Good gracious, that sounds like a horrendous faff. I don't think I'm tempted to go back to FTM :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 October 17 19:16 BST (UK) »

Although I have newer (and older) versions of FTM, my favourite is 2008.

Not difficult on there, when you export it asks whether you want to export all or "partial/some".,

You can also
Export all as gedcom       then use gedxlate (onwards)
Export all as csv              then use Excel and re-import
Edit all as gedcom           then use Word/Wordpad/Notepad/ etc and re-import
Other products are available.

Do not forget to take at least 1x backup/copy of your file(s) before doing anything.
AND
work on the copy NOT the original.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 October 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Take a look at Family Historian. I moved to I've been using it now for  this after hitting the buffers on a few other programs. It's 100% GEDCOM compliant, although that wasn't why I chose it - it was more for it's multimedia management and it's source management. It has a lot of functionality, so it does take time to get to grips with, but it's a worthwhile exercise. There's a good support forum, although it can get very technical at ties. It also has quite a few addons and companion programs,   Ancestral Sources (free) and Charting Companion (reduced price) are two.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline clats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 November 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I've been using PAF 5 for yonks now....2 things that really annoy me is trying to delete an incorrect date,,,and trying to put a child in with an unknown father....the first id why I am looking to give PAF 5 the old heave-ho....

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 November 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh? I have never had any bother doing either of those things.

PAF does have some irritating features - like flagging up when you add a child whose DoB is before that of the child previously entered instead of just rearranging them by date, and not remembering when you reject suggested duplicates so that every time you run a match/merge search it offers up every possible match, including ones you've already rejected umpteen times before.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.