Author Topic: Restoring photos from 1970s - How to remove that orange tinge  (Read 8942 times)

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
  • Seize the day - after breakfast
    • View Profile
Restoring photos from 1970s - How to remove that orange tinge
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
I looked but couldn't find any posts about this. I'm currently copying and printing photos taken in the 1970s which have developed that nasty orange colour. I use Irfanview and The Gimp when attempting to restore normal colour levels - I don't have Photoshop. I usually drop the red by 24 and raise the blue by 2 but the results aren't fantastic. Is there a rough formula which can be applied in all cases?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring photos from 1970s - How to remove that orange tinge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi minihistory,

Do you have white balance picker in your software ? I would normally pick something that should be grey (tarmac path etc) and the colour picker will correct for this.

It is the white balance command that you are looking for on the gimp.You can access this command from the image menubar through Colors → Auto → White Balance.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
I don't know of a 'one size fits all' but after the approximate steps that you've done, I sometimes experiment by adding a blue overlay layer and playing around with the opacity.

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 October 17 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi minihistory,

Do you have white balance picker in your software ? I would normally pick something that should be grey (tarmac path etc) and the colour picker will correct for this.

It is the white balance command that you are looking for on the gimp.You can access this command from the image menubar through Colors → Auto → White Balance.

Regards

Sarah
That works a treat! Thank you. I wouldn't have thought to utilise that tool.

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 October 17 06:56 BST (UK) »
I don't know of a 'one size fits all' but after the approximate steps that you've done, I sometimes experiment by adding a blue overlay layer and playing around with the opacity.
I'll have to give that tip a go as well. I think it's a case-by-case thing but both you and Sarah have put me on the right track.

Offline jloy326

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
Can you upload the photo? . There are many paths you could take. It would be easier to give some explanation after playing with it
If a task is once begun never leave it till it's done. Be the labor great or small, do it well or not at all.

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
  • ~ I am the result of the love of thousands ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 October 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you have Photoshop or similar, then using "Levels" option and altering the RGB levels, (individually), via sliders is an excellent way of bringing the true colour values back to a faded or discoloured photograph.  Especially great for getting rid of that awful orange staining effect!  I recently used this method on a number of scanned photos from the 70s and they turned out brilliantly!
Doran / Ward / Carr / Kerr / O'Kane / O'Connor / Goostrey / McLaughlin

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 02:50 BST (UK) »
Can you upload the photo? . There are many paths you could take. It would be easier to give some explanation after playing with it
I have many photos so I was curious about whether there was a standard way of reducing it. It seems I'll have to play around with individual shots. Still, there are worse ways to pass the time :)

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you have Photoshop or similar, then using "Levels" option and altering the RGB levels, (individually), via sliders is an excellent way of bringing the true colour values back to a faded or discoloured photograph.  Especially great for getting rid of that awful orange staining effect!  I recently used this method on a number of scanned photos from the 70s and they turned out brilliantly!
Yes, I think a combination of that and the white balance adjustment seems to work well.