Author Topic: David Smyth and Esther Duthie married in Toronto 1st July 1926  (Read 1126 times)

Offline derekjwatson25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Smyth and Esther Duthie married in Toronto 1st July 1926
« on: Thursday 12 October 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on my great great uncle David Smyth who was born in Ireland in 1894 and joined the Enniskillin Fusileers durin WW1 and moved to Toronto and married Esther Duthie ( Nee Stone) in 1926. The lived in Scarborough , Ontario , where theyre both buried.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: David Smyth and Esther Duthie married in Toronto 1st July 1926
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
According to ancestry tree David Smyth passed away  28 March 1983 - Toronto (East York), Ontario and Esther nee Stone passed away 26 January 1952 - Toronto (East York), Ontario

A son William T Smyth - born 14 April 1930 - Toronto (East York), Ontario, Canada
passed away 8 October 2006 - Toronto (East York), Ontario

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
Esther's obit in the Globe and Mail newspaper on Jan 29 1952, page 20.

She died at the Toronto General Hospital on Jan 26 1952.  Esther Stone, wife of David Smyth of 223 Woodmount Ave, East York (that is part of Toronto).  Mother of J, Rivers Manitoba, A, Betty and William all of Toronto.  Sister of Jessie (Mrs Le Bihan) of Vancouver, and Ethel (Mrs W Pendleton) of Toronto.  Interment Pine Hills Cemetery.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
David Smyth's obituary in the Toronto Star on March 30 1983, page C22

Says he was Member Royal Innis Fusiliers W.W.1 and Life Member Branch No 22 R. C. L (I would think that was Royal Canadian Legion?).  He died at Sunnybrook Hospital on March 28 1983,  Husband of the late Esther and Florence.  Father of J, A (Mrs. E Martin), William and the late Betty (Mrs K Tullock).  Interment Pine Hills. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
Florence Smyth died Dec 19 1981 at Toronto East York General Hospital. She was Florence Fick... wife of David Smyth and the late Edward Horobin.  Mother of M* (mrs A Burgess) and I (Mrs W. Mullen) of Hamilton.  interment Pine Hills

Toronto Star... Dec 21 1981 page C15.

RK

*used initials instead of full names.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
William T Smyth obituary in the Toronto Star on 10 Oct 2006, Page D11.  This is the William T Smyth from the tree that Sandra found.  This obit doesn't mention his parents or siblings.

He died Oct 8 2006, husband of F.  Father to S, H, B and J.  Grandchildren are named.

RK

Note... because siblings not named here, I am not sure whether J and A are still alive.  I will remove their full names from my earlier posts and replace with initials. 

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:39 BST (UK) »

Offline derekjwatson25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 October 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Sandra and RK many many thanks for this info. Our family tree has him in Ireland after WW1 and it was when I put in his army details I found that he had moved to Canada and married,hence the request for any family who are on this website might read this and get in touch as we have missing links in the Smyth tree. We have traced the roots back to Ireland circa mid 1700's but there were 4 Smyth brothers and we dont have direct / concrete facts as to which one was our line as records from that era were destroyed during Irish uprising and also there was no legal obligation for marriage and birth registy.
Now that you have provided me with some more info  it might narrow my search down and hopefully some of the living realtions will also have searched so I can get in touch with them to establish links.