Author Topic: Chalmers baptised 1751 - 1761 Muiravonside  (Read 1318 times)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Chalmers baptised 1751 - 1761 Muiravonside
« on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon

I am hoping someone can shed some light on a family that were born to Robert Chalmers and Janet Wilson. I believe that their youngest Robert is in my family line, as the names of the brothers and sisters do follow down the line apart from Norvell. Is there another form of Norvell ( like Patrick and Peter being interchangeable). Apart from the baptism record I can find no further evidence for this male.

The family baptisms are :-
Isobel       15 Dec 1751
Christian   25 Aug 1754
Helen       30 May 1756
Norvell     11 Mar 1759
Robert      22 Feb 1761

Any help or ideas would be most gratefully received.

Regards
Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Chalmers baptised 1751 - 1761 Muiravonside
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
http://www.whatsinaname.net says nothing about Norvell/Norval as a given name, so it looks as if it could be a forebear's surname being used as a given name.

You say that brothers' and sisters' names follow down the line, but you haven't listed any other brothers.

For the purpose of tracing families, there are some names that are just too common to be useful. These include Alexander, James, John and William, Elizabeth, Jane/Jean and Margaret.

I take it you have found a marriage of a Robert Wilson and are now trying to get back a generation?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian

I have found the marriage of Robert Chalmers to a Janet Bartholomew 1782 Uphall, and the children of that marriage. I am trying to get back further and sometimes I find it helpful to go sideways as well, hence looking for Norvell.

Regards
Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
Are you saying that they named a son Norvell, then?

Did they die in Scotland? If so, did they died after 1855? If so, have you found their death certificates, and if so, does either of them have a mother named Wilson?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian

Yes it would appear that they named their son Norvell (Robert Chalmers and Janet Wilson).
There are baptism records for all the above children on Sp, but i cannot find anything further for a male called Norvell. I have been unable to establish a death for my Robert Chalmers (Norvell's brother).

Regards
Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
Oh, I am now thoroughly confused. I thought you had said Janet Bartholomew married Robert Chalmers in 1830. But I see that they got married in 1782 and had eight children, mostly born in Currie in Midlothian, not including a Norvell.

Who was it who were married in Uphall in 1830 then?

If the Robert Chalmers whose death you cannot find is the one baptised in 1761, it is probable that there is no death record, because there was no registration of deaths until 1855, well over 90 years later.

Norvell probably died young, or at least unmarried, which would explain why you can't find any more about him.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 October 17 18:39 BST (UK) »
Oh my word, hang my head in shame, :'(

Robert did marry in 1782 to Janet Bartholomew, I am trying to see if he had a brother called Norvell.

So sorry for the confusion.

Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 October 17 19:38 BST (UK) »
Ah.

Are there Norvalls further down the family, then?

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 October 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
To be honest, no, so I suppose you could be right in that the child died at a very early age, so the name was dropped. I have had the name Lancelot, before which was only carried down one line of the tree, clutching at straws - maybe.

Regards
Moo