Author Topic: Need help to follow Mary McEwen  (Read 6502 times)

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Our Home in Fintry - The one past Mom & her dog
    • View Profile
Need help to follow Mary McEwen
« on: Saturday 14 October 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Mary McEwan, She was the daughter of John McEwen and Henrietta McNicol McEwan, born Jan 22 1845 in Fintry, Stirlingshire.. Trying to find out who she married and when, as my family records show she had a daughter Jessie 1866, a son John 1868 and a son James 1870 but no last name for them.. The story my mother told was Mary was a nurse and was one of the first lady's into Ladysmith after the relief of the Boer War  she was nursing a Boer prisoner and another one thought she was poisoning him and kicked her and took a chunk out of leg it turned gangrene and she died. The write up was in the Daily Express at the time. But unless I can find out who she married, and was she living in South Africa at the time of the war since she would have been around 55 by then. I cannot go much further with the story without her last name.  Any help on where to look would be appreciated, I have tried Scotland People but there were so many Mary McEwan could not narrow it down.

Thanks.
Meffen, McEwan, Eggleton, Bryson, Gray, Cobb

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to follow Mary McEwen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi on checking Family search there is a Mary McEwan who had 3 children that match yours in New Luce Wigtownshire also an Elizabeth in 1863 no father named for any of the children This may not be yours as according to the 1871 census on Family Search Mary was born in Wigtownshire but it was the only family that matched the children and birth years

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
Mary McEwan, She was the daughter of John McEwen and Henrietta McNicol McEwan
Was this Henrietta, maiden name McNicol, married name McEwan, or Henrietta, middle name McNicol, maiden surname McEwan?

The usual, and unambiguous, way of setting out the name of a married woman in Scotland is xxx yyy or zzz, where xxx is her given name(s), yyy is her maiden surname and zzz is her husband's surname.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
The Henrietta''s maiden name was McNicol. She married John McEwan.

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wendy for trying I don't think this is my Mary as I know for sure she was born  in Fintry. But thanks for trying

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 17 08:52 BST (UK) »
Have you got her in any census? I see from FreeCEN https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl that the family were in Fintry in 1851.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 October 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all could this be the family in the 1871 census address 10,Rosehall Street Blythswood Glasgow
John McEwan age 60 ( coachman domestic servant )born Fintry Stirlingshire
Henrietta McEwan age 30 ? born Perthshire think the age is a bit out
Hugh McEwan age 27 again wrong born Fintry (1843 ) son
May McEwan age 25 born Fintry (daughter ) most probably Mary
James McEwan age 13 born Fintry ( son )
Henrietta McEwan age 11 born Fintry (daughter )
Charles McEwan age 4 born Glasgow
James Wallace age 1 born England ( grandson )

Rosie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 October 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
1881 census:
John M McEwan, servant, unmarried, 73, coachman, born Fintry is at 15 Woodside Terrace, Glasgow.

Henrietta McEwan, visitor, married, 53, wife of coachman, born Kilmahog, is at 7 Steven Street, Glasgow. Kilmahog is just outside Callander, and the 1851 census says she was born in Callander.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 October 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census has her as 'May' on Ancestry but 'Mary' on FindMyPast BUT the latter also shows her as married!

Since the youngest of her 3 children previously mentioned is a James b.1870 I wondered if the 1yr old grandson son - James Wallace 1 born England - could have been her child.   However, I did search last night for a possible marriage for Mary to a Wallace but couldn't find anything so probably a red herring.

However, just found the marriage of a Mary McEwen, dau. of John McEwen, to a James Willis (son of Samuel) 15/4/1866 Liverpool (no other details online).   Births shows a James Christopher Willis, mmn McCune (?) June 1869 Liverpool but am I just clutching at straws?

So, no idea if the Mary McEwen, dau. of a John, who married a James Willis 1866 Liverpool is your Mary from Scotland, nor if the James Wallace 1 grandson in 1871 should be James Willis!!

One possible lead anyway.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk