Author Topic: Quin,Clooney  (Read 3932 times)

Offline stecrook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quin,Clooney
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
From another tree on Ancestry, where I think I went wrong.after I found out about Quin, County Clare, I e-mailed a church in Quin and got the marriage of a Patrick Garvey to a Nancy (anna) Gleeson, this is a reply from them,                                                                                           My apoligies for the long delay in getting back to you since your emails of 28/29 July.
I got around to checking parish records today on your behalf.
They are the Roman Catholic church records of Baptisms and solemnised Marriages which took place in the parish of Quin-Clooney (amalgamated parishes) over the years going back to the early 19th century.
The records show that Michael Garvey, son of Patrick (Pat) Garvey and Ann (Nancy) Gleeson was baptised on 20th April 1834.  This date would appear to conflict with the date of birth (1836) which you indicated.  In addition, no siblings were shown to exist at that time, but perhaps Pat and Ann were born at a later stage. (I omitted to check further on them, but will do so if you wish).

Interestingly, there were 16 families of Garvey resident in the parish around that time (1834)  but, to the best of my knowledge, there are none today. Perhaps the famine of 1847/48 had a devastating effect (as it did on almost half of the population of Ireland at the time), leadng to wholesale emigration..
Though the name is not uncommon in Ireland, there seems to be few Garveys today in County Clare. However, I am aware of at least one family in each of contigious parishes, Newmarket-on-Fergus and Doora/Barefield.

The marriage of Patrick Garvey and Nancy Gleeson is not reported in the records examined, perhaps for the reason that the wedding may have taken place in another parish native to the bride, and thus be the subject of records in that parish. 

I hope this information may be of assistance in your research.

With best wishes.

Eddie Lawrence.

Offline stecrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
I only have Michael on the 1861 census, he and Mary and daughter were living with her parents, then in the 1871 she and her children living with her parents still recorded as married, in the 1881 Mary is head of household with her children and her mother, still recorded as married, in 1891 she is recorded as widow, in 1901 Mary is living with her daughter, she passed away in 1902. I have the grave no and the details of who is buried there and Michael is not with her, i cannot find a death for him anywhere,

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
I can see that baptism left hand page
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634686#page/131/mode/1up
and the address is different from the Patrick marriage in 1863 so Patrick and Michael may not be brothers.

I'd say there is a good chance this Michael is the son of the Patrick and Anne that married in Newmarket but sadly there is no way of knowing if he is your Michael.
Such a shame he disappeared.
I'd ask for help finding him in the Common Room
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/common-room/
you just don't have enough to find him in Ireland

Offline stecrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
How is the best way that I could request help. Thank you so much for the time you have spent on my request, it can be so rewarding when you discover something :) and so frustrating when you don't:( I will keep plodding away, nothing ventured nothing gained, ty again Stephen

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 20:30 BST (UK) »
Your reply #19 explains quite well, just start it with the details of his marriage to Mary.