Author Topic: Thomas Maddox Apples for Jamestown 1623  (Read 3916 times)

Offline JM in North Carolina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Maddox Apples for Jamestown 1623
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 December 20 00:30 GMT (UK) »
My research shows I am a direct descendant of Alexander Maddox, born 1613 and immigrated to Virginia in 1635, through his son Alexander Maddox (Jr., I assume) b. 1654, through his daughter Elizabeth b. 1693, and her son Maddox Stanley b. 1715.

I would appreciate any information you can offer regarding Alexander 1613’s lineage in England and possibly Wales, and suggestions where I can find information regarding the Maddox family to verify my research thus far.

Thank you

Offline Michael Lynn Maddox

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Maddox Apples for Jamestown 1623
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 January 22 01:56 GMT (UK) »
My name is Michael Lynn Maddox. I have been researching what I thought was my line from Samuel Maddox, 1665 arrival in St. Mary's County Maryland. I now know that Thomas Maddox who came to Jamestown earlier is my correct ancestor and find this chat about apples and cider of this period to be fascinating. My great great grandfather is Mark Maddox, Alabama and my great grandfather is James Henry "Hoppin" Maddox, Alabama, Mississippi. Mark served as an officer late in the Civil War and James Maddox of Hilliard's Legion, Alabama, was shot in the knee whilst sitting on a stump near Loudon, Tennessee. When he recovered he was asked if he wanted to return to his unit, and he said HELL NO, this the nickname Hoppin'. He limped back home to Alabama on his bad leg with his cane. James subsequently moved to Simpson County, Mississippi, to farm after the war. This is where my Grandfather and Father were born.