Author Topic: Massey  (Read 1613 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Massey
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
I expect you have seen this... lots of information about the family here.

https://westendvancouver.wordpress.com/biographies-a-m/biographies-m/massey-hugh-alexander-1883-1915/

Have you checked your father's military records from WW2?  I don't know about privacy/who can access UK records from WW2... but as you are his daughter, I would think you might be entitled to view them.  Perhaps they would say where he was born. 

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
There is an anc tree with John Peter Massey 25 September 1910 - 1973 Scotland.  Photograph attached. This looks like Sue's tree.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
There is a also a private tree for Hugh Holland Massey and another public one giving date - 28 July 1909 - 21 December 1973 - Surrey South Western, Surrey.

and Leah Barbara Massey 19 October 1912 -  8 March 2008 - Warminster, Wiltshire. England.

Poster just asked for a way of getting the birth certs without having to pay $50 so it would be worth an e-mail to the suggested RAOGK volunteer mentioned in reply 3 - the sixth on the list initials M M.

https://www.raogk.org/lookups/region/british-columbia/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
I don't know of any way a RAOGK volunteer could access birth certificates in British Columbia prior to 1904.  These records are restricted. 

Next of kin with proof of death may be able to request a copy from BC Vital Statistics.  The current cost of birth certificates in BC is $27.  It may be worth emailing to inquire.  https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life-events/births-adoptions/births/birth-certificates

Do you have his death registration or certificate?  Is the birth date and place of birth included on this document?

Susan

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
The RAOGK volunteer in Vancouver is a very, very helpful chap. As I understand it - with written authorization from the person who is eligible to apply for a birth certificate he can access and purchase a birth certificate on there behalf - which would be cheaper than the $50 dollars the poster quoted.

Sandra

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
Sandra,

Perhaps that is possible and certainly worthwhile for Sue to inquire about with BC Vital Statistics.  I believe the Vital Stats office is in Victoria so would be a ferry ride away for a volunteer in Vancouver.  There is an email address on the link that I provided in my previous post.

Susan

Offline soosfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 15:03 BST (UK) »
Runkitty
Thank you so much for all your info and suggestions. It is just the definite place of birth that I would like to discover. If they were born in Vancouver, I would like to know why Kelowna is mentioned.
I believe I can get my father's birth certificate but not the others, because of their 120 years since birth rule. I have a world subscription to Ancestry but most of their records seem to be Quebeck.

Sue
Massey, Wheldon, Briggs, Earle, Thornhill, Holland, Adams, Giles, Wheals, Sperring.

Offline soosfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Susano

Thanks for your reply. On my father's flying training documents from Cranwell, it says that birth place was Vancouver 'as per birth certificate'. I thought maybe Kelowna might be included in the Vancouver district. I think I shall send for the birth certificate - I have his death certificate - and presume that the other children were the same. I now have to find out where the 'Kelowna' reference came from!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Sue
Massey, Wheldon, Briggs, Earle, Thornhill, Holland, Adams, Giles, Wheals, Sperring.

Offline soosfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
Runkitty
Re WW2 records, I know my father was in India flying people to & fro over the Himalayas and he later met my mother there - I was born in Karachi in 1949. I have no birth certificate!!
The website that you mention is fantastic. My brother sent it to me and this is what prompted me to look into the Canada births question. I shall try to find out where the Kelowna thing came from.
Sue