Author Topic: William Cocking and his son William Cocking marriages  (Read 1536 times)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Cocking and his son William Cocking marriages
« on: Wednesday 18 October 17 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi can SKS help?  I have William Cocking bc1817 married to Elizabeth, the only marriage that might fit is William Quodling marrying Elizabeth Skinner in 24th July 1937.  I strongly think that this is correct as mother's maiden name recorded on majority of their children is Skinner (2 have Turner though?).  Their son also William b1843 and his first wife Charlotte moved to India c1870 and the only marriage that I can find that fits is William Cocking to Charlotte Prime in Whitechapel district July-Sept 1867.  Both William's were in the forces. The elder one was listed as Soldier and Chelsea Pensioner, whereas the younger was listed as Drill Instructor and army pensioner.  Is there a way that I can confirm that these are the correct marriages (and find Charlotte's Father), without having to send for more certificates?

TIA  :)
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Cocking and his son William Cocking marriages
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 01:04 BST (UK) »
The 1837 marriage was between widow & widower and he signed the register as Quodling or similar but not Cocking

Can't help with the 1867 one
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi CJ,

William Cocking, bachelor, married Elizabeth Skinner, spinster, 28 Sept 1836, St Margarets Westminster. Both signed, witnessed by William James Simmons and Wm ?Martin?

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
The service record of William Cocking jun, born 1843 in St Margarets Middlesex, enlisted in the Grenadier Guards 3 Nov 1852 at the age of 9!!!

4 Nov 1852 - 30 Dec 1868 at home
31 Dec 1868 - 28 Mar 1882 East Indies
29 Mar 1882 - 5 Jun 1883 at home.

Transferred to the 62 Regiment 1 Sep 1868.

Married Ellen Oates (deceased) June 1878 in East Indies, no other wife mentioned.

The marriage register shows both William and Ellen were widowed.

Next of kin listed as William Cocking, son, with regiment.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
To add to the mix, William Cocking born 1843 marries Caroline Downes (?) on the Isle of Wight Q3 1883, seen on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 in Matlock.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 October 17 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I found these births, deaths and burials,

Birth
John COCKING    Jun Q 1868    Westminster    1a  385
mmn:  PRIME

Baptisms All Saints Church Lucknow
Richard Erlon COCKING
Baptised:  5th November 1870
Born:  11th September 1870
Son of William and Charlotte COCKING
Lucknow
Drum Major H.M's 62nd Regt.

Baptisms in Dum Dum
Nellie COCKING
Baptised:  13th April 1873
Born:  21st March 1873 
Dau of William and Charlotte COCKING
Dum Dum
Drum Major  H.M's? 62nd Foot

Charles COCKING
Baptised:  8th May 1875 (Privately)
Born:  8th May 1875  (Deceased)
Son of William and Charlotte COCKING
Dum Dum

Burials in Dum Dum
Charles COCKING
Died:  8th May 1875
Son of Drum Major  H.M's 62nd Foot
Buried:    8th May 1875
Cause of Death:  Premature Birth

Chakrata, Bengal
Edward COCKING   
Died:  18th May 1876 
Child of William and Charlotte COCKING, 62nd Regt
Burial:  20th May 1876
Cause of death:  Convulsions

Charlotte COCKING
Died:  27th May 1876
Wife of Drum Major 62nd Regt
Burial:  28th May 1876
Cause of death: Rheumatic Fever

After his William's marriage to Ellen,

Baptism Morar Gwalior
Hannah Elizabeth COCKING
Baptised:  13th April 1879
Born:  18th March 1879
Dau of William and Ellen COCKING
Morar

Marriage
Morar Gwalior
4th June 1878

William COCKING
Full Age
Widower
Drum Major H.M's 62 Regt
Residence: Morar
Father:  William COCKING
By Banns

Ellen OATES
Full Age
Widow
Father:  Thomas GREENAM

Witnesses:  J. WHEELER & S. WHEELER

William was discharged in 1883 in Woolwich, this could be Ellen's death,

Ellen COCKING    Mar Q 1883  Woolwich    1d  727

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole and Jo,

William b1843: I have managed to find that his wife Charlotte was nee Prime, they married in 1867 and had at least 5 children, John born Westminster 1868, and then 4 born in India (2 who died in infancy, the other 2 I can only find records of Nellie) Richard Erlon Cocking b1870, Nellie b1873-1958, Charles b&d 1875 and Edward b&d1876.  Charlotte (his wife) died 8 days after Edward.  He then married Ellen Oates (nee Greenan/Greenam) who was 18 and a widow of Joseph Vincent Oates (she married him when she was 16).  William and Ellen had a daughter Hannah Elizabeth in 1879 also in India.  After they returned to the UK, Ellen died in 1883 in the Woolwich district. William then married Caroline Downes and had 6 more children, all still alive in 1911.  I have found no record of a son called William, so am now searching for a marriage prior to Charlotte in 1867 with William being a product of that marriage.  His son John b1868 also went into the regiment attaining the rank Band Master.  At least one other son (Charles to Caroline) also signed up.  In fact in John b1868 and Charles b1884 were listed at the same base and on the same page on the 1911 census.

It took me a while to find all this (I was typing as I found it) and then just as I was about to post I saw the later replies by Daisy and Max.  Thank you all  ;D
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 October 17 21:27 BST (UK) »

I think this is Richard Erlon COCKING,

UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

Richard Eston COCKING
Regt:  1st Battn Wilts
Regimental Number:  366 
Death Date:  6 Jan 1910
Death Place:  Pietermaritz burg
Birth:  Lucknow
Date of Enlistment:  16th Mar 1883
Trade:  Musician
Next of Kin:  Fa  William

but I can't find his service records.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 October 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Daisy.  Yes it certainly fits!  I have had no luck finding a son called William for William the younger (b1843).  There are two that fit his age, thanks to

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

I have their Mother's maiden names.  They are:

William Cocking born Greenwich district, MarchQ 1863 Mother's maiden name Fenton
William Smith Cocking born Chelmsford district, MarchQ 1867 Mother's maiden name Prince

I have been unable to find a marriage for any Cocking to either surname.  I have had issues with Military Ancestors and finding their marriages in another line.  If only we could pick up a phone to ring and ask them! Trust me if I find either marriage you will hear my shouts of happiness!

Using the same site to check for deaths of female Cockings between 1860 and 1867 I have found the following:

Ann died age 31 (bc1832) Marylebone district SeptQ 1863
Eliza died age 22 (bc1841) Lambeth district DecQ 1863
Emma died aged 33 (bc1833) St James's Westminster district SeptQ 1866

Comparing their ages to William's Eliza is looking favourite! But of course, no corresponding marriage fits.  I am now looking for an Eliza Fenton marrying someone, whose surname fits with an Eliza marrying a William Cocking, to see if she was a widow when they married!