Author Topic: Major & Mary Smith of Stamford lincs  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Kentartertons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Major & Mary Smith of Stamford lincs
« on: Wednesday 18 October 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace Major Smith b1780 approx and his wife Mary. They had a son Charles Augustus Smith b1803 approx in Lincolnshire. Baptised in Stamford in 1803. The only reference I've found  is a small piece on Genes Reunited and online. A gypsy family Major Boswell and his wife Mary attended the same baptism. Many thanks for any information.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Major & Mary Smith of Stamford lincs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
This could be the same Major Boswell

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7ZD-CTZ

What is doesn't say - Residing in a Caravan on a Field, High Street, Willenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire and Mary's birth was Graves End, Kent.

A person of that name was buried in Dresden, Staffordshire, on 21st May 1870 aged 108.

The Ashton Weekly Reporter, and Stalybridge and Dukinfield Chronicle 28 May 1870 and several other papers

DEATH OF A PATRIARCHAL GIPSY.
"Major Boswell, who for the last seven years has made a tent on the Stone Road, died on Sunday at the advanced age of 108 years. etc etc"

David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
I imageine that you had seen everything about the Boswells but there is this one in the same county as his possible marriage in 1798:

Leicester Chronicle 11th March 1837

A Mary Linion, Alfred Edingal and Major Boswell, gipsies were indicted for fraudulently obtaining half-a-dozen silver tea spoons from a Mr Shepherd of Barrow-upon Soar but the case was not brought to court.

David

Offline Kentartertons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks David for the quick reply.

I'm actually trying to trace Major Smith who was married to Mary (don't know her maiden name) they had a son Charles Augustus Smith and it was at Charles baptism that the Boswells were present. It's the only evidence I've got of my great x5 grandfather's birth.
I can't trace his parent Major and Mary Smith... wonder if they were one and the same with the Boswells?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 17 13:33 BST (UK) »

I'm actually trying to trace Major Smith who was married to Mary (don't know her maiden name) they had a son Charles Augustus Smith and it was at Charles baptism that the Boswells were present. It's the only evidence I've got of my great x5 grandfather's birth.
I can't trace his parent Major and Mary Smith... wonder if they were one and the same with the Boswells?

Where was this information stated  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 October 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
The 1803 Baptism is on Anc. but no image to check witnesses.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 October 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Familysearch.Org has this christening;
ALFRED Boswell, 7 March 1819, Rauceby, Lincolnshire to MAJOR/MARY
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 October 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
Charles Augustus Smith was the only child baptised that day, 27 June 1803 at Stamford St Michael.  His father was listed as a tin plate worker.

How do you know the Boswell's were present at the baptism?

There are no witnesses listed on the baptism, very rare for any on Church of England baptisms.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 October 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
There are four baptisms to Major and Mary Smith at Peterborough St John - Mary Ann (3 Nov 1805), Elizabeth (9 Nov 1808), Thomas (8 Sep 1809) and Elizabeth (12 Sep 1812).  The first Elizabeth was buried there 6 Jun 1810 and they also had a son William buried there 24 Apr 1807.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day