Author Topic: William Henry JACKMAN, fisherman of Brixham.  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry JACKMAN, fisherman of Brixham.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 October 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
This is a brilliant response. Many thanks to all.

Susan Jackman died in January 1918 and was buried at St Mary's with her first husband Samuel Crocker who drowned in the storm of 1866.

An extensive report of the wreck of the steamship Excelsior here:
http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/WreckReports/14950.asp

The Excelsior that collided with the French vessel was owned by the port of Cardiff so if this is the correct Excelsior, the steam ship carried a crew of 20 and it is possible that Wm H Jackman may have joined the ship on a voyage after the enquiry, but he was really a fisherman so is it surprising to find he had become crew on a steam ship?  There was a Brixham cutter "Excelsior" BM54 launched in 1888, so that shouldn't be it.  (Also "Excelsior" BM89 which was launched 1910.)

Re parents: there is a William Henry Jackman listed in Brixham who was with Ag Labs, but I think the Bap: 14 April 1839 with Henry (fisherman) and Katherine is far more likely.  Also, tenuously, one of his and Susan's daughters was given a 2nd name Louisa.

First marriage - I have given this June 1/4 Newton Abbot ref some thought, although I can't find a suitable death for Jane, (or Elizabeth as offered by familysearch) there is a death registered for a 23 year old Sarah Jackman reg at Sculcoates in Dec 1/4 1867, :'(  and the Brixham fishing fraternity often pop up in the Hull area so that would be quite possible. 

Many thanks everyone, I think you have made progress.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 October 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mowsehouse...he is mentioned here:

http://www.brixhamsailingtrawlers.co.uk/

Edit: Sorry...Jackman was the builder  ::)

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 October 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Mowsehouse...he is mentioned here:

http://www.brixhamsailingtrawlers.co.uk/

Edit: Sorry...Jackman was the builder  ::)  Carol 

Thanks for your interest Carol..... my husband is related to the boat builder Jackmans too.   
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 October 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
Oh that's not so bad then...I was about to get my coat  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 October 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
Oh that's not so bad then...I was about to get my coat  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Carol

;D
And I'm reckoning the Robert J, and Henry J, both being born in Dittisham, Devon, were probably closely related too!  That is, I suspect William Henry might have been nephew to the boat builder. :-\

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 October 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
I have found a reference to a Brixham "Excelsior" built 1873, but have not found the BM number for it as yet.
https://www.shipindex.org/ships/excelsior/page/4

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 October 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
Name:    W. H. Jackman
Death Date:    15 Nov 1885
Death Place:    Merchant Marine, At Sea, Great Britain
Birth Date:    1839

Why would you need a Bo'Sn on a sailing fishing vessel?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
Traditionally a boat's officers were the master, boatswain, carpenter and cook.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
Traditionally a boat's officers were the master, boatswain, carpenter and cook.

Thanks.....
WHJ had been Master at the time of the 1881 census, so "Bo'Sn" was a retrograde srep.