Author Topic: George Faile from Symington/Lamington Lanarkshire, looking for help  (Read 1390 times)

Offline afaile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Faile from Symington/Lamington Lanarkshire, looking for help
« on: Thursday 19 October 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to find information on my husbands great grandfather x5.  His name is George Faile, born 1749 died 1802. He was born and family resided in Symington and or Lamington Scotland.  He was married to Jonet Mochrie birth/death unknown. His son George Faile born 1775 died 1846 was married to Josephine Hall. In 1801 they came to New York to settle.  I have complete information up to George Faile from New York.  What I'm looking for is information on his father Geroge Faile x5. He remained in Scotland till his death in 1802. His daughter was declared heir to his land in Lamington. I want to confirm did he die in Lamington? and looking for records on his death and where he is buried?  Also George Sr's fathers name is Malcolm Faile, born 1714 in the same area. I have checked the scotlands people site and cant find any information on the family. Hoping to visit some day!  Allison

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: George Faile from Symington/Lamington Lanarkshire, looking for help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
If you put the surname Faile into the basic search screen at Scotland's People, you get one reference from the statutory records, a marriage in 2008, one from the 1865 valuation rolls, and 20 baptisms, 6 burials and 5 proclamations of banns from the church records before 1855. Most of these are in Leith, and none is in Lanarkshire. There are no census records, no wills or other legal records,a nd none of the people mentioned is named either George or Malcolm.

I looked at the index to the registers of sasines for Lanarkshire from 1618 to 1870, and there are no references there to the surname Faile. This is curious because if George Faile's daughter inherited land from her father, it should have generated a record in the register of sasines.

The catalogue of the National Records of Scotland has 5 references to the word 'faile' but at least one of them makes it clear that it is a verb, not a personal name.

I wonder if Faile is an alternative spelling of some other name? And could the daughter have taken over the tenancy of her father's farm or house, rather than actually owning it? A transfer of a tenancy would not involve a change in the ownership of land, and hence would not be recorded in the registers of sasines.

In the absence of any useful references on Scotland's People or in the National Archives, I think you will struggle to find anything at all about your George Faile.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline afaile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, everything seems to stop with the George Faile who came to New York with his family. We visited the family plot a few years back.  I have papers with descedents names and history dating back to Jean De La Faile 1400's. They originated in Belgium then to England and ending up in Scotland. Through the years the name changed, it appeared as Faile, Faille then to MacPhail or M'Phail in Scotland. The Perthshire decendents retained the name of Faile but it was frequently written MacPhail etc. I guess they frowned on the last name Fail/Faile because it meant a corruption.  So possibly George Sr. was a McPhail or it was written as?
 Yes it's noted the 4th child Jonet a daughter was declared heir to two acres of land in Lamington after her Father's death. There was a Faile Abby that was located in the Parish of Tarbolton, Ayrshire 1500's. The Faile towns lands were found in Kilmernock 1500's. There is so much I have to read a there is alot.  I'm finding better results with My Great Grandfather x3 Samuel Chapman. He was born in Loudoun and his family lived in the Ayrshire area which I'm still working on.  My husband and I would like to visit Scotland after we hopefully pinpoint more precise areas where they lived and possibly buried.   Thanks for your help! Allison

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 20:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, there are rather more results of you search for Fail* rather than Faile. But not many  in Lanarkshire - they still seem to be mainly concentrated in the east of the country.

There are no listings of M(a)cPhail in the index to the Lanarkshire sasines either.

G F Black's Surnames of Scotland says that Fail(l) is an abbreviation of MacPhail, which is derived from 'son of Paul'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
 Can I ask where you got the information regarding his birth and residence that you say was "Symington and or Lamington"? Does it say Lanarkshire? I only ask because there is another Symington in Ayrshire.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline afaile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 October 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
I obtained from a family member copies of old genealogical research papers, History of the the De La Faile up to the Faile family.  Spelling of the name changed through the years and it depended on the area you resided.  The first to settle was in Argati, Perthshire, Scotland in the early 1600's name William Faile.  He died in 1637.  Information was obtained from references such as Commissary of Dublane, Perthshire. Information, references in these papers was also obtained from Sasines, Roxburghshire Berwick Church records, Lamington records. Howard Coll. for Lanark. It all looks legitimate, but I need to read multiple times to understand it all.

George Faile b1749-d1802 resided in Symington and Lamington, Lanarkshire (looking for where he died and possibly buried)

George Faile (son moved to US in 1801) b1775-d1846 resided in Symington (Semistone or Symondstone) Lamington, Lanarkshire. (His son below)

Edward Faile b1799-d1846 He was born in Semistone, Oxnam Parish, Roxburghshire (this information recorded in the Faile Bible.)

There is much talk of the sale, leasing and heirs of Faile land. most land is located in Lamington and Oxnam. Some of the written dialect is hard to understand because its the 1700's. In some instances Faile is spelled Mcphail. So I'm throwing it out there maybe someone can direct me where to search. I'm willing to pay a fee if there is some site that could help research or look at records.

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 17 00:18 GMT (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Symington,_Lanarkshire,_Scotland_Genealogy

some info here with regards to the parish of symington and recorded data sorry cant be of any help
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
apologies if you already have these but maybe you can go forward from them

FAILE BESSIE       JOHN FAILE/  F  25/03/1705    802/10 6    Oxnam

FAILE WILLIAM     JOHN FAILE/  M   07/05/1701  802/10 3    Oxnam

FAILE ELIZABETH JOHN FAILE/  F  25/03/1705     802/10 6    Oxnam

FAILE JAMES        JOHN FAILE/  M   28/03/1703   802 10 4    Oxnam

MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline afaile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 November 17 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Manda_McD.  with all the information I have I'm still stuck ??? I will research further with the link you gave me.  The John Faile you mention are the names to the left his children?