Author Topic: DNA Success Story  (Read 2877 times)

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Success Story
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
An update - son's father in law has met one of his half sisters. They took to each other at once.
There is to be a family reunion in the summer when he will meet the rest of his new family. (They are 3,000 miles away)

This just shows how powerful the combination of good old traditional genealogical research and atDNA testing can help discover recent NPE lines. Congratulations on your find. It seems like making progress with very recent NPE events are very special and joyous events. However, finding out a very old NPE line can be somewhat disappointing - even as a hard core genealogist. My 1765 NPE discovery (not well confirmed to date) for my Brooks line turning out to be a Wade line would not have gone well with my mother (her line) as she was so proud to be part of such large Brooks line that we worked on for years. Even the hard core Brooks researchers, none have really expressed interest in diving into Wade research to any extent.

On the other hand, I helped determine a known 1860s NPE event via YDNA testing. This researcher was very joyful to at least get a surname to research at last. But with a dozen possible candidates, there is a lot to sort out with traditional research and hopefully she added atDNA testing to narrow the candidates down. I have another tester who definitely matched my Casey YDNA which explained why his YDNA matches changed in the 1830s. He did have probate records where his ancestor received property from a Casey estate. He had written a 800 page book on his family and now around one-third have now been re-classified as being Caseys. Even though he is fine with this discovery, he has not widely revealed this discovery to researchers of the older adopted part of the line.
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Very good news Sandy

Marilyn

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Marilyn the best ever for me.

I hesitated for so long and then thought okay, my father's sister always told me
I was her brother's child and I dealt with all the bitterness from my own family.

Congratulations on your own success too.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
I asked for my Father's name to be added to a new birth certificate now my DNA proved the links as previously stated.

I was told I would have to apply to the Court and I paid £215 and have been through the worst episodes (2 months of my life) trying to get his name to no avail.

Apparently although the District Judge was very understanding, according to the law only a DNA test by a Government selected body would be taken into account and cost £199 upwards. Ancestry tests were totally ignored and the 30+ pieces of evidence I had to submit.

I had to prove that I had no siblings that could test for me and I told him that my cousin would. He replied that it had to be 50% to be accepted by the court and cousins are only 12.5%.

Therefore in the eyes of the law I have failed, but I will put his name on my  original birth certificate. It is my right.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright