Author Topic: Raeburn Family of East Lothian  (Read 3637 times)

Offline jimdb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Raeburn Family of East Lothian
« on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandmother, Margaret RAEBURN, was married to David Waddell in Canongate Parish, Edinburgh, on 16 May 1835. Margaret was the daughter of "James Raeburn, joiner in Dunbar". From various records, both in Scotland and the USA, she was born 9 Dec 1809 in Dunbar. The couple is found in Clarkson Parish, Lanark, in 1841, and Carluke Parish, Lanark, in 1851. She and David immigrated to Ohio in 1855. Naming tradition would suggest her parents are Alexander and Mary, but we know her father is James. There is question as to the validity of her birthdate. No record seems to exist in the OPRs, thus I can't take this line back any further. Can anyone identify her family? Were her parents James Raeburn and Mary Reid?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Raeburn Family of East Lothian
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:40 BST (UK) »
Waddell is a common Monklands, Lanarkshire name so Clarkston, Airdrie fits!

Skoosh.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi jimdb

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Were David Waddle's parents and his birth this one here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTG4-N43 ?

The children showing for them on censuses (1841/1851) include:

1841 - Gavin aged 5 and Mary aged 4.
1851 - Gavin aged 14, John aged 7 and David aged 1.

They look to have lost lots children along the way  :-\ Can't see a reference to a son Alexander for them so far.

Margaret certainly shows a birth place in Dunbar. There are two couples showing as having children in Dunbar at that time named James and Mary. The two Marys are Hogg and Reid.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census shows a James Rayburn in Dunbar, working as a Joiner. Wonder if this could be a brother to Margaret...or a red herring?!

James Raeburn 50
Cath Rachun 40
Marjory Raeburn 70

Address: High Street East Side Bambury Close, Dunbar

The 1841 census is the most limited in terms of detail. Ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 years and no relationships were normally shown within households.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census has them not ageing very much in ten years!

James Raeburn 50 joiner b. Dunbar
Cathrine Raeburn 44 wife

Address: High Street, Dunbar

You could follow this James through to his death and check the certificate online for his parents' names (if he died after 1855 and the start of official registration in Scotland). BMDs available on pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Monica

ADDED: There is this possible birth index entry for him https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTTY-Q78

Offline jimdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 October 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
To Skoosh and MonicaL, your replies are most appreciated. The Waddells, I have a pretty good handle on them. James Raeburn/Mary Hogg seem to be an older generation. James Raeburn/Mary Reid are my primary targets. They had a son James Jr. They also had a son Alexander. And, searching my notes, I believe they had a son George (but no birth/christening date given). The James of the 1841 and 51 censuses is probably who I'm after. Just as likely though he may be a red herring. No imagination when it came to naming the kids :) To actually prove who Margaret's parents were, I may have to go to the probate route. (That may be kinda iffy). I've reviewed the parish records pretty much in depth and am surprised that they may well be either incomplete, or the births not reported. Again, thanks.

Offline jimdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 October 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
To Monica: Yes, David Waddell's parents were Gavin and Elizabeth. There was an Alexander Waddell, 1841-44. The list is available at: www.ballsplace.com. The list was from an unpublished compilation done years back by a relative. I think it came from a Bible record which I've never found. If so, The numerous children who died young was probably the reason for coming to America. David though had brothers who went to Canada. I have a different James and Catherine from the 1841 and 51 census. He was a "sawyer". What you show makes much more sense. Thus the confusion. Thanks (I think :))

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 October 17 01:33 BST (UK) »
You say that David Waddell and wife Margaret (Raeburn) left Scotland in 1855 for Ohio but I find them in New York in 1861 and 1871??   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 October 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Not so. They are in Carluke, Lanark in 1851, arrive in NY on 15 Jun 1855 aboard the "Glance" out of Glasgow, and are in Youngstown, Ohio in 1860. They arrived with son John. Gavin had preceded them. The other children had died.

Thanks for your note.