Author Topic: South African help  (Read 3170 times)

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South African help
« on: Thursday 19 October 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for someone with access to records and newspapers for [Durban] Port Natal in October 1906. My granduncle [William Horace Wickens] died there Oct 26, 1906 at age 37 and was Port Captain. Little is know of him in SA. For example, was he buried there or in England? What ever happened to his wife? 

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: South African help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 17 03:11 BST (UK) »
Here is a reference to his estate file
   MSCE   0   26/10   WICKENS, WILLIAM HORACE. (S/S FANNY ELIZABETH - BORN MOSES).   1906   1906
It is likely that he was buried in SA can't imagine they would have transported his body back in 1906

A link to the on-line copy of his estate file:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS75-HQHF-Y?i=32&cat=229462

This looks like their marriage record - she was a widow at the time of their marriage

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DTY9-XV7?i=531&cc=2063749

and here is a link to her estate in 1926 - appears she remarried

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS7P-F33C-G - from her will it appears she was much married
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
What an exciting thing to see. Many thanks. I'm so sorry my father is not alive. He was the only one among 13 surviving siblings that I know of who asked: "Do we have any relatives in England?" His fathers answer, a man rather ignorant and by my deduction an alcoholic: "Yes, a brother in England." Wm. was dead 6 years after this man's emigration to Canada and another decade more with my father's question.
Is there any way of finding out what Wm. H. died from at age 37?
Yes, Fanny married at 20/ husband died a few years later. /again at 26/ divorced him in 7 years. Wm. H 6 years later and died at 37. Now you show she married again after 1906 to John Smith who died in 1920. The son, Fell, was from #2. But who is this Daisy Wall? Illegitimate?
Can you read the first page cited [Wm .H]? 2 words: [angled top: Inccis new duty and below the Nursing Home: Beni Again, many thanks.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 17 05:23 BST (UK) »
If you page forward from the death notice you will find her will - the daughter is from her 1st marriage to a "Thomas Reidy" appears the daughter followed her mother in being much married as she is formerly Doherty

The Nursing Home was in Berea, Durban

Not sure what the angled writing says

Regards
Gillian

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
I found a photo of the church they were married in, 1899. And, I have located the 3 cemeteries Wm H. could possibly be buried in. Thanks ofr the citing of Daisy. Wall must be her married name.

I'm not interested in Fanny much, colorful as she was. And, I don't understand your moving forward from the death notice. I moved the book page up-down-left-right and got only brown space. I'm curious about Fanny but not hell-bent on her.
I am most desirable for Wm. H., my blood relative. He's one of a few mysteries still existing in my genealogy, only recently uncovered in private records to 1899 decades after the 1881 Census showed him as a school boy, never again cited in public records. Now in SA, what caused his death and where was he buried and what kind of estate did he leave? Do you think my writing some kind of genealogy group in SA could answer these questions if you can not? Who do you suggest?  I do appreciate very much your good work for me, Gillian. Many thanks.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 October 17 02:55 BST (UK) »
You can probably page through the death notices for 1906 - they are not currently indexed - this would give you the cause of death . Scroll down the screen to find the film with the 1906 death notices.
Link to the collection:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/721369?availability=Family%20History%20Library

To page through the images you need to use the arrows next to the image number

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
Here is a list of all the port captains in Durban. No Wickens mentioned. On his death notice his occupation is given as engineer. Here is the list https://molegenealogy.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/haven-meesters-and-port-captains-port.html
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 October 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Great to see. Here's what chempat sent me 18 Aug 17 where I got the idea of Port Captain.

Reference T1052/1906       Part 1                                                 
Description:  Port Captain W H Wickens   First Engineering 'Richard King'  Off duty sick from 26th Instant, Medical Certificate Put Up. Death of W H Wickens                                                                     
   Starting 1906  Ending 1906                                                       
Remarks  CSO3100/1906 R AND H535/1906 AG883/1906 PCD287/1906.

I have a list of 3 cemeteries in Durban and hope they might answer my queries of cause of death and burial. Keep up the good work. Many thanks. JIM

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 October 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
The link photo is great! I am guessing about 1900. What's your view?