Author Topic: American records  (Read 2499 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: American records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 October 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
The son of Edward Fields and Ethel - Eddie Kent Field born 8 November 1930 New York passed away 30 April 2005. Father Edward Field and Mother Ethel Payette.
Last Residence 34990 Palm City, Martin, Florida,
Listed on the Daily Times Obituary Index -

Edward K Field Jr -  74 years -  New York City NY>Stuart FL -  StuartNews; 2005-5-2; kat

http://obits.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/obit.cgi?Surname=FIELD%2C%20Edward%20K%20Jr&type=Keyword

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 October 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
A possible death (needs verified) record for George Field son of Edward and Ethel - George Robert Field born 3 September 1934 - passed away 29 June 2015 - - Montgomery County, Texas.
Listed in US Obituary collection tributes Maryland.

Mildred nee Becker Field born 5 th October 1935 -  wife of George passed away 4 July 2010  Lady Lake, Lake, Florida.
SSN issued New York - 1952-1953

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 October 17 00:24 BST (UK) »
If Effie/Ofal/Opal was born in NY then this is the NY genealogy site for BMD's. From a 1915 US census it seems she may have been born there.
https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/genealogy.htm

Good grief I have just read their charges!

The site is for ordering vital records from New York state, but not from New York City.  If you do need to purchase vital records from somewhere in New York state, it's best to see if they can be ordered from the town.  The cost is typically $22 (in the majority of cases from the 1880's forward, you should be able to find an exact date or year, so no need to pay more than $22), but may be less from the town. 

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 October 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
I am most grateful for the effort that Rootschat friends have made to help me with this. Notably Sandra. Inevitably some questions remain but the picture is becoming clearer.

Sandra – you mention the birth certificate for “Opal H Fields”. Is it possible to access this online, or can anyone advise if there are any more details – notably parents names’ and if the writing is so poor that it could be Effie Opal Field?

The death record for Effie Seager certainly suggests that she married Burnley Seager but a marriage record will clinch it. His name seems to be difficult for people compiling the records ! There are at least 5 variations of his forename and 2 or 3 for his surname, but the birth date is helpful. I have a slight concern that a family tree on Ancestry shows her death as 1986. I know that these family trees are often inaccurate but wonder where that date came from? There is no citation.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 October 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Never believe everything you see on ancestry - it is amazing how many tree's have the wrong information which other people copy and then it is magnified even more.
The tree that gives 1986 shows no source information - it was probably a relatives estimated date of when they thought she may have passed.  ::)

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 shows Effie Seager 4 July 1912 - passed away 1 May 1999 - Claim Date 6 Apr 1974

and the SSDI - Effie Seager 4 July 1912 passed away a May 1999 - Last Residence 11722 Central Islip, Suffolk, New York.  SSN issued New York (Before 1951)

Sandra

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 November 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
This may seem a long message but most of it is to do with one main point.

Edward Kent Field
Following on from the very helpful advice from Sandra, I was satisfied that Edward Kent Field died on 1st October 1984. The US  Social Security Death Index (found via Familysearch) shows him born 17th October 1908 and died in October 1984 in Suffolk County, NY. Admittedly it shows him as Edward Field rather than Edward Kent Field but the birth date clinched it for me.

However, I also found, under “US Public Records 1950-1993” (via Ancestry) an entry for Edward K Field born 17th October 1908 living at “145 Farber Drive, West Babylon, NY 11704-5141 (1996)”. If that means he was there in 1996, why is the folder titled …-1993?

Similarly, Familysearch reveals a set entitled “US Public Record 1970-2009” which includes Edward K Field born 17th October 1908 residing in West Babylon between 1st Jan 1995 and 1st Jan 1998. So on the face of it, it seems that either the death index is wrong or the Public Records in West Babylon. Or am I misunderstanding the way that the records are kept in the US?

Burnley Seager
Again, thanks for Sandra’s helpful suggestions re Burnley Seager. It’s always difficult when both the forename and surname are capable of being spelt in different ways.

I have found him as “Brinley P Seager” with his parents in 1910 – the image shows that it could be “Burnley P” so I’m putting that down to an error in transcription on the website. He is Burnley P Sieger in 1920, Burnley R Seager in 1925 (again the image shows P rather than R); Burnely Segar in 1930.

However, once again the “United States Public Records 1970-2009” have confused me. They show Burnley Seager born 13th May 1907 at P O Box 1, in Coram NY 11727 on 13th July 2001 and also 1st January 1998. See https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2Q96-KNW.
But the Social Security Death Index does indeed show that Burnley could have been Bernard P Seager born 13 May 1907 - passed away 8 December 1988. As with the first query above, I don’t know how this can be resolved, and hope someone might be able to help.

There is one final uncertainty about him – the record of New York City births shows him as Burnley Marvin Seager – his mother was Harriet Marvin Seager, which explains the second name. Thereafter he appears with a second initial of P but I guess that was a decision taken after the birth was registered. I have found nothing to show that new second name.

It looks like marriages are not so well documented as I have found nothing to show the date of his marriage to Effie Field.

All advice gratefully received!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 November 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
However, I also found, under “US Public Records 1950-1993” (via Ancestry) an entry for Edward K Field born 17th October 1908 living at “145 Farber Drive, West Babylon, NY 11704-5141 (1996)”. If that means he was there in 1996, why is the folder titled …-1993?

Similarly, Familysearch reveals a set entitled “US Public Record 1970-2009” which includes Edward K Field born 17th October 1908 residing in West Babylon between 1st Jan 1995 and 1st Jan 1998. So on the face of it, it seems that either the death index is wrong or the Public Records in West Babylon. Or am I misunderstanding the way that the records are kept in the US?

Those US Public Records databases are from various sources that include phone books and direct mailing lists.  You can see the explanation about where they get the information from here - https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1788  People are often listed on them after they are deceased.  My father is on there for many years after he died, and we certainly continued to get junk mail for him during that time frame.  The Social Security Death Index is a government-maintained database, so, while errors do happen, it is far more likely to be accurate. 

Regarding the marriage, not everything is available online and they could have married anywhere.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
PAK,

I don't know about now, but several years ago I was able to purchase a copy of my great-aunt's application form for a Social Security number. The form included her full name; date and place of birth; current address and employment; and parents' names.

It wasn't cheap but it was the only way of proving that she was my grandmother's sister (it's a long story). If you can, it might be worthwhile to order the application forms for the couple you're researching.

Regards,
Josephine

P.S. Sometimes people took on middle names, or changed their first names, at some point in their lives, without it being on their birth or baptism records. It adds to the challenge of finding documentation. I don't know if that's what happened in Effie's case but keep in mind (while you continue to search) that it might be a possibility.
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm reading the other threads now. This is a confusing person.

PAK, you wrote this in February of this year:
"...she died (as Effie M Field) a widow in 1930..."

Was this based on an index entry somewhere or an actual death record?

What made you decide that she had not died but had married Burnley Seager?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters