Author Topic: John Ruskin, Rose Terrace  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Ruskin, Rose Terrace
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
The Sphere 17 Feb 1900 has this

... Jessie Ruskin,Mr Ruskin's paternal aunt, who, in 1805, married Patrick Richardson..a descendant of the Richardsons of Pencaitland and Smeaton.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Will/Inventory...

Richardson Patrick 31/12/1825
leather merchant in Perth
Perth Sheriff Court
SC49/31/4

Richardson James 28/11/1833
esq., of Pitfour, brother of John Richardson
Inventory only
Perth Sheriff Court
SC49/31/16

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Good find William!

Buckhyne, lots of reading from this google search  :D...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kxu/

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Just across from Rose Terrace but a century later...

Richardson Dame Harriet Georgina Alice Cochrane or Stewart, 6/2/1925 
1 Atholl Place, Perth, widow, d. 26/10/1924 at Perth, testate.
Perth Sheriff Court Wills
SC49/32/38

Annie

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 October 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
Presumably the Richardson family were living in Bridgend when Patrick dies in 1824.
Is Jessie (Ruskin) Richardson living in no.10, Rose Terrace as a widow and dying there in 1828?

If Patrick died across the Tay at Bridgend would he not have been buried on that side of the Tay?

If Jessie died facing the 'Inch' at Rose Terrace she should be buried at Greyfriars but there's no' records online to check either so?

Buckhyne, what inspired you to write these wee booklets (interesting), you havin a 'lang spoon' & no a Perthonian  ??? ;D  ;D

Annie

If Patrick died across the Tay at Bridgend would he not have been buried on that side of the Tay?

You would think that but see my first post re Greyfriars. I have the pre-1855 MIs
Block D: 19: (on top) 234: mr Patk Richardson 20.7.1824 50, wife Janet Ruskin, 18.5.1828 43, chn Margaret 9.1.1817 6m, Cath 4, Patk 8.1.1818 8, Helen 11.2.1823 3w, James Tweedale R., 21.3.1828 8, Janet 8: (west side) 696: Jas R. brewer here 4.1.1877 1777 56, wife Mary Grant 7.11.1811 68

If Jessie died facing the 'Inch' at Rose Terrace she should be buried at Greyfriars but there's no' records online to check either so?
See above.

Buckhyne, what inspired you to write these wee booklets (interesting), you havin a 'lang spoon' & no a Perthonian

How dare ye!!! I was born 1943 in the PRI while we were living with my Mum's sister in Muirton.
It's my Dad's family who are Fifers - my Dad was born in Cults, Fife and travelled to Perth and enlisted in the Black Watch in the 1930's.
He met my mum here and the rest...as they say.....

I find Rose Terrace a fascinating street and must have looked fantastic in its hey-day with the metal railings and the cannon taken at the Battle of Sebastopol. I'm almost certain I can remember when they were there but perhaps my mind is wandering.

Bowerswell has an interesting history.
The Open Day last month featured my photograph on their leaflet.

Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 October 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
The Sphere 17 Feb 1900 has this

... Jessie Ruskin,Mr Ruskin's paternal aunt, who, in 1805, married Patrick Richardson..a descendant of the Richardsons of Pencaitland and Smeaton.

William
Well spotted.
It's entirely possible that the Richardsons of Pencaitland and the Richardsons of Pitfour are related.
Probably cousins of some sorts.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 October 17 17:38 BST (UK) »
Good find William!

Buckhyne, lots of reading from this google search  :D...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kxu/

Annie
There is a lot of reading but it's all 16th & 17th century.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 October 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
Ohhh Dear Buckhyne....I knew you had Fife ancestry & 'assumed' with your title on RC you were born in Fife so I am now begging forgiveness  :-[

Sorry, my wording wasn't great (was multitasking at the time)

"If Patrick died across the Tay at Bridgend would he not have been buried on that side of the Tay?

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]Meaning...I think he must have died this side of the water to be buried in GF? [/color]

If Jessie died facing the 'Inch' at Rose Terrace she should be buried at Greyfriars but there's no' records online to check either so?"[/color]

Meaning...The obvious place, GF where she is  :)

And the 'no records online' was to indicate no proof of whether they were at Rose Terrace when Patrick died i.e. a DC.

"metal railings and the cannon"....I'm sure I recall seeing a Canon (somewhere) but I couldn't say for sure where in Perth?

Where do you think it was as our Doctors Surgery was on Atholl Street & my mother had quite a few visits there (large family) i.e. that may be tucked in the back of my memory bank?

Annie

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 October 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
Ohhh Dear Buckhyne....I knew you had Fife ancestry & 'assumed' with your title on RC you were born in Fife...
The furthest back I can go genealogy-wise is the mid 18th century in Buckhaven hence 'Buckhyne'

Where do you think it was as our Doctors Surgery was on Atholl Street
and my Doctor (Ritchie) was in Rose Terrace.
The cannon were outside the Academy (two of them).