Author Topic: Belgium - Seeking death certificate of Roderick Sutherland Gunn Mclean  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Belgium - Seeking death certificate of Roderick Sutherland Gunn Mclean
« on: Sunday 22 October 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
Roderick Sutherland Gunn Mclean was born in Glasgow in April 1888 to Roderick Gunn Sutherland Mclean (Also Maclean) and Susanna Hislop Brown. He was with the RAF and was Gazetted on 26th October 1916 as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 29th Squadron Royal Air Force and promoted to Lieutenant on the 1st April 1918. Roderick was killed in October 1918 and is buried in Rumes, Arrondissement de Tournai, Hainaut, Belgium. Because he didn't die in Scotland I can't find a death certificate and I would love to find it somehow as I am interested in finding out the cause of death. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Belgium - Seeking death certificate of Roderick Sutherland Gunn Mclean
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
Roderick Sutherland Gunn Mclean was born in Glasgow in April 1888 to Roderick Gunn Sutherland Mclean (Also Maclean) and Susanna Hislop Brown. He was with the RAF and was Gazetted on 26th October 1916 as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 29th Squadron Royal Air Force and promoted to Lieutenant on the 1st April 1918. Roderick was killed in October 1918 and is buried in Rumes, Arrondissement de Tournai, Hainaut, Belgium. Because he didn't die in Scotland I can't find a death certificate and I would love to find it somehow as I am interested in finding out the cause of death. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roderick S G MacLean, Volume 0.17, page 70, 1918, GRO War Death Army Officers Indices (1914 to 1921)

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline dwillia26

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belgium - Seeking death certificate of Roderick Sutherland Gunn Mclean
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 22 16:18 BST (UK) »
The cause of death for LT Roderick Sutherland Gunn MacLean (the proper spelling of his name) was mid air collision.  Here is how he is listed in http://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/people_index.html "missing [F900 SE5a] Collided with SE5A C1915 over Tournai at 12000ft on offensive patrol. Lt RSG MacLean missing [shown as McLean]"
In the book The Jasta War Chronolgy by Norman Franks, Frank Bailey, and Rick Duiven on page 276 it states that LT RSG MacLean was shot down and killed on 26 October 1918 by Lieutnant J. Raesch of Jasta 43 over Velennes which would be his 5th victory.
Being over enemy territory when he went down you would not have a death certificate. But his grave information can be found at https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/479189/roderick-sutherland-gunn-maclean/
Signed
Daniel C. Williamson
Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) U.S.A.
Lead, Air Service Section, Doughboy MIA