Author Topic: The Scots/Scotts/Scatts, Stottesdon  (Read 1755 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Scots/Scotts/Scatts, Stottesdon
« on: Sunday 22 October 17 23:47 BST (UK) »
Anyone pinpoint where this place is/was? I can't seem to find in on any old maps.

Thanks

David
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Scots/Scotts/Scatts, Stottesdon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
Could you give an image or link to where you have found the word?

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
I've attached three clips from the Stoddesden Parish Registers of the entries where I've found this odd abode. The handwriting is not clear and the abode coulde be Scots, Scotts,  Scatts, or something similar. The family later moved to Chorley/Lower Chorley near Stottesdon, and this is easy to find on the map, so I'm assuming that the "Scots" abode is nearby.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
Have you got them on a census in Stottesdon, to see where The Scotts might be?

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
I haven't checked the census yet for an entry for each of them, but later baptisms for the same family give the abode as Chorley, and the 1841 census for William Walker also lists Chorley as his address. This leads me to think that the family moved to Chorley before the 1841 census, and probably before 1830 when daughter Sarah was baptised when the abode was then given as Chorley..

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 census, William Powell(born about 1825, Sidbury) age 56 is living at Scotts (Farm)

In the 1871 census Wlm Powell age about 45 is at The Scots.

Look at the images to see the collection of dwellings, and where they are in respect of other buildings.

Added:
There in 1861 also, as son.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 October 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have the census references. My search skills seem to have temporarily absent :-[

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
William Powell   56
Sarah Downes   47
William Farmer   17
RG11; Piece: 2627; Folio: 74; Page: 10

Wm Powell   43
John Powell   35
Elizabeth Smith   25
RG10; Piece: 2739; Folio: 68; Page: 11

Charlotte Powell   66
William Powell   34
John Powell   24
RG 9; Piece: 1847; Folio: 74; Page: 12

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 October 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chempat - I think I've found them. There seems to be a Scot's Farm and Scot's Cottages at the edges of two adjoining maps. Sarah Downes on the 1881 census is one of the names I'm researching.