Author Topic: Looking for relatives of Jabez Crabtree Bingley Uk1880's  (Read 7849 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for relatives of Jabez Crabtree Bingley Uk1880's
« on: Tuesday 24 October 17 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I would like to find any relatives of Jabez Crabtree who was living in Bingley during 1880's. particularly 1886. 

He was a Grocer, Dentist and, I believe, an Overseer in one of the mills. 

When my Great-grandmother died he took in my grandmother in 1886 as a servant, she was 13 yrs old. He was also one signatory to a Stat. Dec. re my Great-grandmother's relationship to the said husband and to her actual name.

I would like to see if anyone in the Crabtree family can help here with ideas or info.

Essnell

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for relatives of Jabez Crabtree Bingley Uk1880's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi would this be the Crabtree household in 1891 census:-

Jabez Crabtree 56 occ Grocer & Dentist
Hannah 53
Mary E 18
Ellen Craggs 17 occ Domestic Servant
Residing at Mill Street, Bingley
Census Ref RG12/3534/144/19
Keyboard86

EDIT Jabez Crabtree who married Hannah Sugden March qtr 1857 Keighley, appear to have had only two daughters Sarah Ann b 1859 Halifax and Mary Ellen b 1872 Keighley.
In 1901 census, Jabez aged 66 b Oxenhope is a Surgeon/Dentist, wife Hannah 63 occ Family Grocer
Census ref RG13/4071/172/25
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86,

Yes yes yes!!!!! This is the person and more so than you could ever imagine. 

Let me explain. [This is going to be long so be patient]

1. I knew about this entry with Mary His daughter and Ellen Craggs the 17 yr old Servant.
2. The Servant girl, Ellen Craggs is my Grandmother. Her mother was Fanny Craggs.
3. Ellen Craggs left England in 1900 to immigrate to Australia.
4. Ellen didn't tell us much about her family and sadly we didn't ask enough. She died when I. . was just 21yrs old.

5. She sometimes spoke about one of the younger boys in the family being burnt when his clothes caught fire. I don't know which one that was.
6. For years I have been trying to find the father of Ellen and her 4 siblings and another child she spoke about named Sarah Ann Kelly.

Whoa!!  This information that you have about this older daughter of Jabez Crabtree, Sarah Ann !!!!.

Grandma said that her mother wanted to get married and that Sarah Ann didn't like that idea very much as her father would then be a navie. 

The Father of the children listed with Fanny Craggs 1881 appears to be John Craggs - as is on two of the Birth Certificates.  His occupation is "Stone Mason" and these details are also on my grandmother's death Cert here in Australia.

Grandma returned to England for a holiday in 1912/3  she returned to Australia on the last passenger ship before WW1 broke out.

One other bit of interest: 
Fanny Craggs died on the 10 Dec 1886 and was buried on the 15th but I don't know where.
Joseph Crabtree [16yrs of age] gave the required details for a death cert. which was issued in the name of Fanny Craggs.
 On the 6th January 1887  Jabez Crabtree and Joseph Craggs made a statutory declaration that those details were incorrect and a subsequent entry was made in the name of Fanny Kelly. The name was to be now read as "Fanny Craggs otherwise Kelly"  and that "Wife of John Craggs Stone Mason" was to read "Housekeeper". 

I am currently trying to get information from GRO about this Statutory Declaration.   

How interesting.

Thanks so much Keyboard86 - you have made my day if not the whole last 10 years!!!

Cheers Essnell

I had deduced that "Sarah Ann" would have been born early enough to understand the implications, but I didn't think she would have been 20yrs.. It was also said that she S-A married a Doctor and wanted to take the two younger boys to the USA with her.  Now that is still a family story to verify.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
GRO won't have any information about the Statutory Declaration - that is just a witnessed statement needed to support an application for certain corrections to a register entry.

If the local Superintendent Registrar asked for the Registrar General's advice or authority for the change then there might be correspondence in RG48 at the National Archives ( but very, very unlikely), or in the local archives if they have any Supt Registrar's correspondence in their records (many don't).

The correction is a straightforward one .... it shows that at first, information was given that at the time of her death she was married to John CRAGGS, and that he was still living (otherwise she would have been "widow of.."

The correction makes it clear she was unmarried and that she was also known by the name KELLY.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again, still interesting the Craggs family, this hopefully is Ellen in 1881 census:-

Fanny Craggs 44 Married occ Lodging House Keeper b Nottinghamshire
Joseph 11 b Sheffield
Annie 8
ELLEN 7
William 6
James 5
Residing at 5, Abbeystead Huts, Over, Wyresdale, Lancaster
Census ref RG11/4261/10/2

In 1891 an Annie Craggs 19 b Sheffield is a Millhand Worsted with a James/Rachel Powley at Town Gate, Bingley
Census ref RG12/3534/142/16

? Why do all with exception at present of Annie, show mmn Massey in Aysgarth/Sheffield or Mansfield
Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again, maybe you could confirm that Annie Craggs married a James Lambert Sept qtr 1892 Keighley 9a 333

1901 census:-

James Lambert 30 b Bradford
Annie 29 b Sheffield
Fanny 8
George 6
Thomas 5
Violet 4
Ellen 1
All children b Cullingworth
Residing at 3, Turf Lane, Cullingworth, Bingley
Census ref RG13/4071/161/4
Keyboard86

EDIT from later return Annie b 13th November 1871

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again, possibly for my notes, the Joseph Craggs b 1870 Mansfield mmn Massey, from his Army Service record in the  Royal Welsh Fusiliers had a father John living at 52, Portland Street, Duke Street, Runcorn, served for many years, and his death was as Joseph CRAGG 5th January 1943 St Luke's Hospital occ Stone Quarrier,  Widow C ( Clara) Cragg, 1316, Thornton Road, Leaventhorpe, Bradford, Yorkshire
Keyboard86

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 21:02 BST (UK) »
In 1881, the "Abbeystead Huts" would have been occupied by workers building the Abbeystead Reservoir for Lancaster Corporation.

Running such huts on civil engineering sites seems to have been a recognised job. These people moved from one site to another, often along with the tradesmen from the hut.

Keeping a bunch of navvies in line must have taken some effort!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 October 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Could Fanny have been Fanny Massey, married a Mr Kelly, had daughter Sarah Ann, then separated. Then met John Craggs, lived with as wife but unable to marry because she was still married to Mr Kelly.

Tracked back Jabez Crabtree, cam from Haworth and was baptised by Reverend Bronte. Can't see he's a relative at all.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott