Author Topic: Selected HOOD of Yorkshire Old WILL Summaries and ADMINISTRATIONS Only  (Read 2784 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Selected HOOD of Yorkshire Old WILL Summaries and ADMINISTRATIONS Only
« on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have some selected (but not all), very brief summary notes of old Yorkshire HOOD Wills and intend to add to these (on this thread) over the coming months and wish to keep them altogether (one after the other) in one place, hopefully to assist other family researchers.

NOTES

This thread is not for posting questions.

Because these are from the filmed Registers which are unreadable in places and also Wills copied into a Register are also liable to copyist spelling and other errors and some are, I would always recommend obtaining your own scan of the Will Bundle or checking the Will or any Document yourself.

These were only quick brief summary notes and not the full Will.

Not posted for Commercial or Legal Use.

Not in date or alphabetical order.

------------

Prerogative Court of York Admin.

Stephen HOOD, June 1857, Great Edstone

Prerogative June 1857
Hood under 20 l
The Same day [Sixteenth day] Administration of the goods chattels and credits of Stephen Hood late of Great Edston in the County of York Yeoman a Widower (having &e[?] ) deceased intestate was granted to John Fisher one of the maternal Grandsons and one of the next of Kin (Jane Welburn the wife of Robert Welburn and Mary Fisher the wife of Robert Fisher the Daughters and only then next of Kin of the said deceased having survived him but since died without taking administration to his effects) having been first sworn duly to administer.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Selected HOOD of Yorkshire Old WILL Summaries and ADMINISTRATIONS Only
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
John Hood, 1793, Scalby

Will of John Hood of Stainton Dale in the Parish of Scalby and County of York Farmer
 ... unto and to the sole use of my wife Jane Hood
 ... my children John William Alice and Jane
 ... my wife sole executrix ...
Fifth July 1792 ...
Witnesses Joseph Trott - George Esthill

See general NOTES in first post on this thread

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
Ann Hood 1799 Kingston upon Hull

... last Will and Testament of me Ann Hood, late of Morton in the County of Lincoln but now of the town of Kingston upon Hull in the County of the same town Widow made this fifth day of March 1798 … I give and bequeath unto Robert Garbutt of the aforesaid town of Kingston upon Hull Taylor and Draper …

Reference to the distribution of several articles to …

... unto Elizabeth Glovet of Islington near London … unto Mrs Atkinson the wife of Mr Atkinson of the Levells in the County of Lincoln … and unto Miss Raynes of Gainsbro’ my …
 ... bequeath unto Edward Serjeant of Battow[?] in the County of Lincoln Farmer one shilling in discharge of all his claims. ...
 … Bequeath unto Robert Garbutt the younger, George Garbutt and John Garbutt the three sons of Robert Garbutt Fifty pounds a piece … when attaining twenty one years of age ...
 … I further give and bequeath unto Isaac Jones of Kingston upon Hull aforesaid Hair Dresser twenty pounds unto John Cotton the younger of the same place Ligh[?]etman twenty pounds …
 ... unto my Nephew George England of Kingston upon Hull aforesaid Sawyer …
 ... unto Hugh Finley of Kingston Upon Hull aforesaid Shipwright twenty pounds …
 ... unto my Niece Grace Skinner of Battow[?] aforesaid Widow twenty pounds …
 ... unto Elizabeth Battick Daughter of James Barrick of Battow[?] aforesaid Cordwainer the like sum of twenty pounds …

Reference to the purchase of a chalice for the church at Gainsborough “Widow Ann Hood” to be written upon it.

... stone for myself and children to be inserted in Gainsbrough Church Yard …
 ... I give and bequeath unto Samuel Hood late of Moreton aforesaid Seaman the son of my late husband but has not been heard of by me or any of his to my knowledge or belief these several years last past the sum of three hundred pounds …

Part about the missing Son if he should return in Register.

… appoint Robert Garbutt Sole Executor ...
 ... Ann Hood ...
Witnesses  Tho Jackson Jun’r  - H’m Sybus

Notes: Looks like Battow, might be Barrow[?], Lincolnshire and possibly Elizabeth Battick[?] might be Elizabeth Barrick[?] Daughter of James Barrick of Barrow ... .

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
Robert Hood, August 1835

Robert Hood of the town of Nottingham Gentleman ...
 ... Messuage or dwelling house or Tenement situate in Saint Ann's Street Nottingham now in the possession of my son in Law John Pool and also the [unreadable too dark] ...
 ... and stable thereto situate in York Court near Saint Ann's Street aforesaid ...
 ... my messuage or dwelling house or Tenement situate in Greyhound Yard in the town of Nottingham[?] [very dark almost unreadable] aforesaid now in the possession of Thomas Faulkes ...

Reference to York Court occupied by myself and Mary Clarke with the use of the Yard road privies ...

... unto my daughter Selina Walters the wife of Samuel Walter ...
 ... I give and bequeath unto my son Robert Hood the sum of three hundred pounds ...
 ... daughter Sarah the wife of George Dobbs[?] the sum of three hundred pounds ...
 ... daughters Elizabeth Pool and Selina Walters eighty five pounds each ...
 ... children Robert Hood, Sarah Dobbs, Elizabeth Pool and Selina Walters ...
 ... Robert Hood Sole Executor ...
 ... Witnessed Wm Wise - John Jos'h Wise - Jno Robinson
15th[?] August 1835

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 16:19 BST (UK) »
Richard Hood, October 1816, Catwick

Last Will and Testament of me Richard Hood of Catwick in the County of York Farmer made and published this nineteenth day of September 1807 ...
 ... my son Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge Grocer and unto my daughter Hannah Quadell* of the same place the sum of one hundred pounds a piece ...
 ... unto my son William Hood of Catwick aforesaid Farmer whom I did appoint the Executor of this my Last Will and Testament ...
Witnesses Anthony Johnson - John Iaram [or John Jaram?] Pass'd 26 October 1816

* Hannah Quarton

------------

William Hood, March 1852, Catwick

William Hood of Catwick County of York Farmer ...
 ... my Niece Ann Jackson ...

Reference to Farmhouse and Farm 116 Acres and 3 Roods at Catwick

... Brick tile yard and cottages and hereditaments at Aldborough my five sixth parts or shares and all other my share and interest of and in the Farm and Lands at Leven occupied by myself and John Foster ...
 ... Leven ...
 ... late in the respective occupations of John Carline, William Forge [Forge may read William Tonge?], William Thompson and Charles Sleggs[?] my moiety and all other my share of the Wind Mill and other hereditaments at Leven ...
 ... £1,500 unto and equally between such of my Nephews and Nieces the children of my brother Richard Hood living at my death ...
 ... unto the Widow of my late Nephew Joseph Quarton of Stamford Bridge and my [two words name/s unreadable] Richardson ...
 ... my Housekeeper Isabella [surname unreadable] ...
 ... to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion ... Isabella Cross ...
 ... Each of my Trustees and Executors Richard Hood Thomas Davison and Wells Hood ...
 ... to Richard Lyon of Catfoss ... Farmer ... chapels. 
 ... I bequeath the sum of Four pounds to William Hood Hepton of Catwick aforesaid Yeoman ...
 ... William Hood Hepton and to the issue then living of each child or children ...
children of Joseph Quarton ...
 ... William Hood Hepton, my said Brother Richard Hood, the children of my said Brother Richard Hood, the said Joseph Quarton and Burton Richardson ...
I appoint Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge near York Wine and Spirit Merchant Thomas Davison of Spring Street in the Borough of Kingston upon Hull Gentleman and Wells Hood of the City of York Wine Merchant to be Trustees and also Executors ...
[the film was poor, the remainder was unreadable, if of interest, a scan of the original Will bundle perhaps].

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
John Hood, June 1815, Kirkby Misperton

I John Hood of Ryton in the County of York Jobber ...
 ... my daughter Mary Sunley ...
 ... my daughter Ann Gawbry ...
 ... my daughter Jane Hodgson ...
 ... my daughter Elizabeth Abbot ... and lastly ...
 ... I appoint my son Robert Hood and my Son-in-Law Thomas Harrison Sole Executors ...
 ... 11th September 1814 ...
Witnessed Rob't Drake - Richard Fox pass'd 5th June 1815

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
John Hood, April 1794 Topcliffe

This is the last will and Testament of me John Hood of Baldersby in the County of York ...
 ... unto my dear wife Elizabeth ...
 ... real estate situate within the township of Crake hall in the said county now in the possession of my son William Hood or his assigns ...
 ... bequeath unto my said Brother in Law William Wright of Baldersby ...
 ... my daughter Ann the wife of Thomas Cooper ...
 ... Annuity out of my said real Estate at Crakehall aforesaid Upon Trust ... payments ...
 ... my said daughter Ann ...
 ... bequeath the sum of Four hundred pounds to be paid and equally divided amongst all the children of my said Daughter Ann ...
 ... bequeath the sum of Two hundred pounds to my son John Hood ...
 ... I give and devise unto my son William Hood All that my estate situate within the Township of Crake Hall aforesaid as the same is now in his possession ...
 ... my said son John ...
 ... John shall shall continue Tenant to the Farm he now rents under his Grace the Duke of Devonshire at Baldersby aforesaid ...
 ... Load of coals from Ulierley Pitts ...
 ... Son in Law Thomas Cooper ...
 ... Daughter Ann Cooper his wife ...
 ... 3 December 1792 ...
Witnesses Rich'd Daggett - Lancelot Turmery - Thos outhwaite
Seal April 1794

----------

John Hood, October 1814, Topcliffe

I John Hood of Baldersby in the Parish of Topcliffe in the County of York Gentleman ...
 ... my dear wife Ruth Hood the Tenant right of my Farm and it is my will that my farming stock crops and implements of husbandry shall be fairly valued by my Executors John Dale and William Wright or such other fit person or persons as they may appoint ...
 ... I give to my daughter Mary the wife of William Morley of the City of London
 ... £250 ...
 ... my present farm at Baldersby ...
 ... Estate at Aisenby in the Parish of Topcliffe ...

Various references to changes in the Will if remarriage occurs.

... In trust for my three daughters Mary Elizabeth and Ann share and share alike ... at the age of 21 years ...
 ... Mary now wife of William Morley she (having already attained the age of twenty one ...
 ... John Dale of Skelton Gentleman William Wright of Baldersby aforesaid Gentleman ...
 ... 15 July 1811
Witnesses Jno Coates - Willm Spence - George Christian Clarke pass'd 5 October 1814

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
Margaret Hood, June 1795, Howden

I Margaret Hood late of Howden in the County of York but now of Bubwith ... County of York Spinster ...
 ... bequeath unto my Cousin Jane Jackson Daughter of Robert Jackson of Newbald in the said County of York ...
 ... residue and remainder money personal Estate debts and funeral expenses charges of proving this my will Unto Matthew Tate of Bubwith aforesaid Farmer ...
 ... All closes Lands Hereditaments and Real Estate ...
 ... use of the said Matthew Tate his Heirs and Assigns ...
 ... Matthew Tate Sole Executor ...
Witnesses George Jon - John Peirson ...
Seal June 1795

[John Peirson might be the Howden Solicitor?]

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 November 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Ann Hood, 1782, New Malton

I Ann Hood of New Malton in the County of York Spinster ...
 ... I give and bequeath unto Christopher Stamper of New Malton aforesaid ...
 ... I give and bequeath unto my Nephews and Nieces John, Stephen Harinase [Stephen Hannase / Harinase?] Elizabeth, Dorothy, Ann and Margaret Stamper ...
 ... Nieces Elizabeth Ann and Dorothy Nawton ...
 ... Niece Elizabeth Nawton ...
 ... Niece Hannah Stamper ...
 ... I give and bequeath unto my Cousin Charles Hood ...
 ... All that my Messuage Tenement or Dwellinghouse situate in a street called Low Street in New Malton aforesaid ...
 ... now in the occupation of Thomas Nawton as Tenant ...
 ... give unto William Stamper and Ann Walton ...
 ... Charles Hood and Elizabeth Stamper Widow joint Executors ...
Witnesses Jas Preston - Wm Preston - Henry Taylor.
Pass'd ? January 1782