Author Topic: Thoughts on a marital coincidence  (Read 1532 times)

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thoughts on a marital coincidence
« on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
My ancestors, William Johnson and Lydia Boot married on 29th September 1738 in Alfreton, Derbyshire. Their marriage record notes Lydia was from the neighbouring parish of Blackwell.

A Lydia Boot was baptised in Blackwell in 1712. I thought it fairly straightforward to link the two, except that a Lydia Boot and William Brown were married in Blackwell on...29th September 1738!

I cannot find a baptism of a second Lydia Boot in Blackwell. Could this be a duplicated marriage record with an incorrect groom's name? It seems such a strange coincidence otherwise. I cannot find evidence of a Lydia Brown in later records.

(To slightly complicate matters - a Lydia Boot born in the nearby parish of Shirland in 1715 can be accounted for elsewhere, she married James Woodward in 1734)
Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on a marital coincidence
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
mijath,

Have you looked for baptisms of children for each couple?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
William Johnson and Lydia Boot married on 29th September 1738 in Alfreton, Derbyshire. Their marriage record notes Lydia was from the neighbouring parish of Blackwell.

A Lydia Boot was baptised in Blackwell in 1712. I thought it fairly straightforward to link the two, except that a Lydia Boot and William Brown were married in Blackwell on...29th September 1738!

My thought is...

Could William have been known by both surnames?

Were there witnesses with same names as it seems to be the same marriage recorded in both Parishes as they were from different parishes?

Maybe a check of the above & below marriages on the page would be the answer if that's possible in case the surname was recorded wrongly in error?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
In my own paternal line, the parish baptism register has an incorrect surname for my gggg gf. The Bishop's Transcript has his correct surname.

It seems that the official "baptism register" is a copy of some lost original, and my gggg gf had his surname substituted by that of the child in the line above - a standard transcription error.

It may be time to check all versions of these registers. There may be a transcription error of long standing. Check the banns too, if they survive.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
I would think, as Annie suggested, that it is an error and that his name has been recorded incorrectly for some reason. Have you seen the original parish records? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 October 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
Freereg has Phillimore's transcripts which says:

St Martin's Alfreton Derbyshire
29 Sep 1738
William Johnson Alfreton - Lydia Boot Blackwell
by licence

Have you tried locating the licence?
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 October 17 03:53 BST (UK) »
Also, I can see on findmypast a burial of a Lydia Boot at Blackwell in 1732 that needs looking at.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 October 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
Freereg has Phillimore's transcripts which says:

St Martin's Alfreton Derbyshire
29 Sep 1738
William Johnson Alfreton - Lydia Boot Blackwell
by licence

Have you tried locating the licence?

The Bond and/or Allegation don't appear to have survived - Alfreton came under the Diocese of Lichfield, and the records are available to view via FindMyPast.

AND - there is a transcription on FindMyPast of the marriage at Alfreton, and it says that it was by Banns  :-\  The image is available to view on Ancestry.  BUT so is the marriage entry for William Brown and Lidia Boot at Blackwell.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 October 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
Also, I can see on findmypast a burial of a Lydia Boot at Blackwell in 1732 that needs looking at.

Wife of Enoch Boot.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY