Author Topic: Where might he have gone to?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
Where might he have gone to?
« on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
My uncle DENNIS Alfred William LANGMAID lived in Farnborough, Hampshire. He was born on the 2 September 1919. The story goes that as my Grandmother & Grandfather with their six children were on hard times and Dennis being a bit of a boy, stealing eggs from neighbours and other such misdemeanors was (probably through the church RC) sent away to Cardiff. Where and what sort of place or institution he went to I would love to find out. I do know that he enlisted into the Royal Tank Corps as soon as he was 18 and enlisted in Cardiff. It showed on his enlistment that he was a gardener. He was permitted to return to Farnborough in Feb 1936 to see his mother who was dying, but sadly got there too late. Can anyone help me or advise me how to fill in this part of his teen years in Cardiff. Was he perhaps in a 'naughty boy' correction centre or some RC home, I would so like to find out.
Thank you in anticipation.
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Where might he have gone to?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

7x children? Not 6x ?

Births(all mmn Hynes)  . . . . . ? (Richard & Julia?)
RRL    1917 QtrJ  Farnham
DAWL 1919 QS    F
EL      1921 QD   HartleyW
JOWL  1924 QS   HW
DWL   1926 QS   HW
LHWL  1928 QD  HW
JPL      1931 QJ  HW

NO names as they may be alive? ( I have not attempted to ascertain )

At what point during that list do you think that he was "thrown out"? 1932 - > 1936 ?
You made the assumption that he was "thrown out" at the point of 6x children?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
I say six children as Leslie was an infantile death, only my mother and an auntie survive today. I would presume the timd would be within 1932-1937 when he joined up. That is guess work though and surviving siblings have no knowledge other than he was a bit of a lad!
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 October 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
Are you in touch with any of his children? Maybe they know?

I can see he married in 1944 then had six children up to 1958 in either East Retford or Mansfield in Nottingham, dying there in 1971.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 October 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
I am actually trying to write the 'Early Years' of my uncle for my cousins. They know all about their father from marriage to Ruth forwards, but little if anything about his childhood, war adventures, POW, repatriation, etc. So it is where he was sent to in Cardiff that I am desperate to find out. He was permitted to return to Farnborough to see his mother who was dying, but sadly he only saw her in the coffin. This was the year before he joined up. Was there a house of correction or any such thing, that is what I am hoping to find out and a register perhaps would be the icing on the cake.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen