Author Topic: Elizabeth McIntyre Paterson  (Read 4978 times)

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth McIntyre Paterson
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 been reading your posts and given that  Ann Singleton Black
died at 19 Sir Michael st in 1880 i d say its a safe bet,
she was living with Elizabeth and Thomas at the time.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Elizabeth's middle name .do her family follow traditional Scottish naming pattern Do you know how many sisters she had ?

If she is not named after a grandmother

Maybe the name came from a great grandmother .which could nudge you toward the next generation
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 19 December 19 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie.  I've had a look for Sarah with the Buntains and haven't found her.  I'm missing the 1891 census but haven't found her in SP.  I believe I've found the right John Black.  He was killed when he fell from the top of a steam boiler in the sugar refinery. (thanks sugarman)  I've also got his death certificate which fits with his parents being John Black (dec) and Ann Blaikley.  The death was registered by his brother in law, Thomas Paterson.  This fits with my believe that Thomas's wife, Elizabeth Singleton, is John's sister (perhaps half).

Each answer raises another question - it's very exciting.

Someone asked about Elizabeth Paterson's middle name being McIntyre.  My theory is that Mrs McIntyre is the sister of Thomas Paterson and her middle name fits with the Scottish tradition of recognising family members. 

Another question was whether I was from Greenock.  I grew up there until 1974, my sister still lives there, and I visit often - I usually manage a visit to the Watt Library.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 19 December 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
It would be unusual for a child to be named after her aunt unless she had older sisters already named after mother's mother, fathers mother.third daughter usually takes mother's name

My family stuck rigidly to this order * using first name and maiden surname of the correct ancestror

except one example where child was named after her father's first wife who'd died young .

(people have various other examples .
Sometimes middle names were used to identify  birth father )
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 19 December 19 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheena ,you will find Sarah Black age 45 in Greenock West ref number 564/2/45/18 on SP
Also William Buntain same reference number ..That's good you got the death certificate for John Black confirming parents yes definitely a brother or  half brother ..Think there is also a connection to the Buntain family somewhere along the line

Rosie

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 19 December 19 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I believe I've found the right John Black.  He was killed when he fell from the top of a steam boiler in the sugar refinery.

Thanks, Sheena ... will add the nature of the accident to my Fatalities page.
www.mawer.clara.net/fatalities.html
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 19 December 19 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again everyone.  Will follow up on the Buntains.  Re the comment that it would be unusual to call a child after an aunt.  Whilst there is a Scottish naming pattern, this family were Irish so perhaps didn't follow that practice.  Also I have an example in my direct family where my grandmother is called for an aunt.  It indicates special respect for that person.  Another thought might be that it was intended that the child was going to live with the McIntyres so was given their name as a middle name with that in mind.

These little issues keep us coming back for more, don't they.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 19 December 19 22:12 GMT (UK) »
James Buntain was a pansman (the skilled one in the sugarhouse) living in Ingleston St 1889-1902 (my database), so probably worked at the same sugarhouse in which John Black had died.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 19 December 19 22:19 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks again.  I've just downloaded the census for Buntain.  I think I won't do anything more about them.  I tried to send an attachment but couldn't.