Author Topic: College of Arms research costs  (Read 3435 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
College of Arms research costs
« on: Thursday 26 October 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Has anyone requested information from the College of Arms regarding a grant arms. I know the date of grant, name of grantee, family name and area of the country involved. Just wondering what their charges are like?
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: College of Arms research costs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
Has anyone requested information from the College of Arms regarding a grant arms. I know the date of grant, name of grantee, family name and area of the country involved. Just wondering what their charges are like?

One hundred and ten guineas (1 guinea = £1.05 (a £ plus a shilling)), per hour, or part thereof. Additional time may be billed per half hour. Or maybe not. No hard rule.

If you know all that, what else do you want to know?

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 October 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the ball park figures Chas. I am researching a family based in Berwick on Tweed for whom I have a pedigree going back to around 1620. It states the family is descended from one of the same name in Derbyshire & members of the Berwick family are representatives (hold the arms?) at various points in the 1800s. I have a reasonable amount of info on the Derbyshire family lines, their marriages and wills etc but cannot yet find a link between the two!
I had assumed that the Berwick branch must have been able to prove their descent form the Derbyshire line in order to claim the coat of arms. I would also like to clarify the identity of the man to whom the arms were originally granted. There are a couple of options within both branches, there were a lot of Johns in the family!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 October 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi cristeen,

Do you have either the blazon (written description of the arms) or a picture of them? Coupled to a name I could look it up in The General Armoury. With luck it might give the original grantee and an address.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 October 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kiltpin. I have attached a screen shot from Magna Brittannia 1817, which outline two of the Derbyshire branches and snippets from the British Herald 1830 and Burkes General Armory . As stated earlier I have some background on the Derbyshire branches. The earliest Berwick Stevenson (also spelled Steavenson) was Edward who married Jane Wilson in 1649 (I think) and had sons John 1652 & Joseph 1654. All of the Stevensons stated to hold these arms are on the pedigree I have. I would like to find Edward's link!

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 October 17 19:48 BST (UK) »

One hundred and ten guineas (1 guinea = £1.05 (a £ plus a shilling)), per hour, or part thereof. Additional time may be billed per half hour. Or maybe not. No hard rule.

If you know all that, what else do you want to know?

Regards

Chas

I have just received an email from them confirming that they have a copy of the grant in question. If I want them to transcribe the information it will cost me £60. May have to wait a while for that :)