Author Topic: William Fisher  (Read 832 times)

Offline redleicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Fisher
« on: Thursday 26 October 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help with find the date of death for a William G Fisher who is my uncle?

I'm a member of Ancestory and Find my Past but I've still not be able to find a date of death.

Details i have so far

William Sullivan born 1906 in Dartford Kent
William's mother's name was Bridget Sullivan (my grandmother)   
1908 Bridget Sullivan  married Joseph Gibson
1911 Census shows:  Bridget living at the same address as George Fisher as the housekeeper!, along with William Sullivan and Mary Gibson. Bridget gives birth to John James soon after the Census was taken in 1911. 
Bridget move to Hastings and has Bridget Fisher in 1913
There is then a gap until Richard Fisher is born in 1920 (i'm guessing George was away at war?)
then Thomas (my father ) was born in 1921
Sheila Fisher was born in 1924
Noreen Fisher was born in 1928, although George Fisher had gone awol by this stage as George's is name is not on Noreen's birth certificate.

All the family seemed to use the Fisher surname although I've never been able to find a marriage between George and Bridget.

Getting back to my original request. 
William Sullivan (now know as William Fisher) married Asunta Martino (b1901 d1981)) in Hastings and had two children. Both known as Fisher.

Could anyone help in pointing me in the right direction to finding the date of death for William.  Thank you

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Fisher
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Have you discounted this one  :-\

William G Fisher
Death Age   34
Death Registration June qtr 1940
Reg district Battle
2b / 152
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 October 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
He's alive and living with Asunta in Hastings in 1939. The death quoted by Rosie is the only William G Fisher coming up on FreeBMD.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline redleicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 October 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help.  I hadn't looked at the death in 1940 as my father said that William, had served as a submariner in the 2nd WW.  As a consequence he suffered from a lung disease (due to the damp conditions) and died after the war.    However, I will order a certificate to double check. 

I'm now wondering if it submariner bit was true? Do you happen to know if someone classified as  "light work only " would have been exempt from service doing the 2nd WW?

Thanks for your help, its much appreicated