Author Topic: Marsden  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Jeune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marsden
« on: Wednesday 03 August 05 03:40 BST (UK) »
I am seeking details of Henry Marsden, who lived in Woodhouse St,'Mansfield prior to his marriage on February 2nd, 1875 to Mary Ann Lea of Leopold St Derby. The marriage took place at the Ormaston Road General Baptist Chapel, Derby. Henry's father was William Marsden (dec) an ironmonger. He migrated to Australia about 1879, and died about six months after his arrival.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marsden
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 09:50 BST (UK) »

Were there any ages given on the marriage certificate, and what was the groom's occupation?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Jeune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 05 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pauline for your quick response.  Henry was 23 and Mary Ann was 25 at the time of their marriage.  Henry was a Minister of the Baptist Church.  In case of any confusion, it was Henry who migrated to Australia and died 6 months later of TB, not his father William.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 05 08:32 BST (UK) »
If Henry was a Baptist Minister he was not necessarily local to Mansfield or even Nottinghamshire. There seem no candidates of that age on the 1871 census who were local to Nottinghamshire. I've checked Henry Marsdens, in general, on the 1871 and 1861 censuses but some are not with their direct families, or do not have a father still alive... There were two Henry Marsdens in Derbyshire on the 1871 census, one already married, and the other eventually tracks back to a non-William father.

As Henry was a Baptist Minister I would try an enquiry with the Baptist Historical Society
http://www.baptisthistory.org.uk/page04.php
They may have some biographical details for Henry and/or an obituary, or if he was a 'Strict Baptist' minister point you in the direction of the Strict Baptist Historical Society.

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 05 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valda, I do appreciate your efforts to find the elusive Henry Marsden.  He has been difficult to track down, but I'll keep trying.  Kind regards, Jeune