Author Topic: John Chambers c1669  (Read 4002 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: John Chambers c1669
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 October 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Well I think so, and she went on to marry R Cheeseman

I think John & Ann had sons John & Christopher in Throwley, moved down to Challock and had daughter Anne and then moved on to Pluckley,   where Anne married Mr Cheeseman in 1689.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 October 17 01:19 BST (UK) »
Well I think so, and she went on to marry R Cheeseman

I think John & Ann had sons John & Christopher in Throwley, moved down to Challock and had daughter Anne and then moved on to Pluckley,   where Anne married Mr Cheeseman in 1689.

Claire

Hi Claire

Sorry I misread the first message about Ann. What you've said regarding Ann and Robert does make sense.

I think I might have found John's christening btw - 23 June 1639 Egerton, son of John and Jane. I can't see any sign of any Chambers in Throwley in the right period but might have missed some.

Also I found two Wills relating to the Simonson name in Little Chart. There is a Will for Richard Symonson dated 1688 which might be worth investing and then a Christopher Simonson in 1601. I've not found Ann's christening yet.

Anyhow I'll ponder that all 2mrw.

Many thanks again for your help.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 October 17 02:08 BST (UK) »

Two christenings for you to ponder, though the first is too early but possibly family.

Ann Simonson bapt. 4 Apr 1619 at Little Chart, daughter of Richard Simonson who married Mary Pack c1604 in Little Chart)

and the other baptism six miles away in Boughton Malherbe, which looks good

Anne Simmonson bapt. 7 Aug 1636 daughter of Richard & Joan Simmonson.

I think the latter couple married in Headcorn on 8 Nov 1630

Richard Simonson & Joan Bridge

There seems to be lots of Simonsons in this area, including a Thomas baptising children in Pluckley - but can't see an Ann, but these are just transcriptions.

Hope this helps some.
Claire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 October 17 14:22 BST (UK) »

Two christenings for you to ponder, though the first is too early but possibly family.

Ann Simonson bapt. 4 Apr 1619 at Little Chart, daughter of Richard Simonson who married Mary Pack c1604 in Little Chart)

and the other baptism six miles away in Boughton Malherbe, which looks good

Anne Simmonson bapt. 7 Aug 1636 daughter of Richard & Joan Simmonson.

I think the latter couple married in Headcorn on 8 Nov 1630

Richard Simonson & Joan Bridge

There seems to be lots of Simonsons in this area, including a Thomas baptising children in Pluckley - but can't see an Ann, but these are just transcriptions.

Hope this helps some.
Claire

Thanks for that info Claire. Simmonson/Simonson/Symonson is a fairly unusual name and if they're all centred around the same area I suspect these will be related.

The Ann Simmonson chr 1636 sounds like the best bet so far, although she would be older than she claimed on the marriage licence (not uncommon).

I'll look into this in more detail later on after work.

Many thanks and I'll let you know what I find.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 October 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
Update!

It looks like John Chambers who married Ann Simonson/Simmonson was born in Egerton in 1639. Egerton is next door to Boughton Malherbe and Pluckley.

John was the son of John Chambers and Jane Potman. They appear to have had another son named John christened in Egerton on 13 December 1635 but it looks like he died as there is a burial for him on 20 May 1637.

John Chambers and Jane Pottman were married by Licence and this makes very "interesting" reading!

"John Chambers - John Lee of Charing, husbandman, alleges that John Chambers, same parish, husbandman, about 20, son of Thomas Chambers of Battle in Sussex, husbandman, with his father's consent, intends to to marry Jane Pottman of Charing, spinster, about 22, daughter of Christopher Pottman of Challock who also consents. "The said Jane now being with child as she confesseth by the said Lee where upon the said Chambers is in the custody of the Bossolder until he shall marry with her whereby he cannot come to procure his licence" At Charing, Nov 25, 1634.

So it looks like the Chambers came from Sussex. I don't know what the term "Bossover" refers to but I suspect it might be some sort of parish constable. What do you think? It certainly makes interesting reading.

I am also pretty sure that the Ann Simonson who married John Chambers in 1663 is the one born in Boughton Malherbe. This is because the licence refers to her brother "John Sim'onson of Molash". I have found that the Ann who was christened in BM had a brother named John who was christened there in September 1639 which seems to tie up.

Anyhow that's all for now.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 October 17 01:07 GMT (UK) »
That's a fascinating piece of your family history you've found.

I have absolutely no idea what that word is at all.. although I am looking just to satisfy my own curiosity.

I can't see anything resembling Bossolder, though as you suggest it was parish constables that kept the peace etc.

Glad it seems to be coming together  :)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 October 17 20:54 GMT (UK) »
That's a fascinating piece of your family history you've found.

I have absolutely no idea what that word is at all.. although I am looking just to satisfy my own curiosity.

I can't see anything resembling Bossolder, though as you suggest it was parish constables that kept the peace etc.

Glad it seems to be coming together  :)

Hi Claire

It definitely is an interesting piece of info and I'd certainly like to know more both about John and also about the role of the "Bossolder".

I must admit I was surprised to see that John's father was from Sussex, I hadn't expected that at all. It just goes to show how useful marriage licences can be, and it's always worth checking them.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 22:17 GMT (UK) »
It looks like John Chambers (b1669) was from Coldred. I've found that his parents, John Chambers and Susan Browning, were married by Licence in September 1666. The Licence states that John was 23 (so born c1643) and Susan was 30 (born c1636) and both were 'of Coldred' and although I haven't any christenings in Coldred I have found the following which seem possible candidates for both:

John Chambers chr 5 Feb 1643/44 Whitfield, Kent - son of John and Mary Chambers

Susan Browning chr 4 December 1636 Sibbertswold, Kent - daughter of Thomas and Mary Browning

Whitfield and Sibbertswold both border Coldred and it seems likely that both John and Susan moved to that parish. Also the marriage licence states that the bondsman was "Thomas Spaine of Whitfield, husbandman". It could well be that Thomas was someone who John knew and therefore it would make sense for him to come from the same parish or nearby. Thomas might even be related to John but I haven't looked into that yet.

I still find it odd that John and Susan were married so far from their home parishes (they married in Canterbury) but that appears to be the case based on the info in the Licence. I wonder why they moved to the Pluckley area after they married?

It looks like John had a sister named Joan who was born in Coldred in 1667.

Joan Chambers - chr 7 Apr 1667 in Coldred - daughter of John and Susan

There is also a Henry Chambers christened in Whitfield in 1678 who was also the son of John and Susan but I don't know if this is the same family yet.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 November 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've looked at the registers and there isn't anything else that fits as well as what you have found.

I've looked at the register for the baptism of John and it clearly states the year on the baptism as 1644.

Susans baptism is also showing up in Shepherdswell too, which is right next to Sibertswold, both being less than a mile from Coldred, so feel you are spot on with your findings :)

Possibly they moved around for work ?

I have to tell you there are lots of Thomas Spaines in Kent : although I think he married in Whitfield

Thomas Spaine mar. Parnel Gosbey 2 Jun 1659 Whitfield.

Claire