Author Topic: John Chambers c1669  (Read 4003 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Chambers c1669
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 November 17 01:55 GMT (UK) »

That's fantastic research  :)

Glad it's coming together.

Found some variants of Luknil, but not in Kent, but quite near in London.

- Luckenill, Luckenhill or Luckenbill. But nothing in Kent.

Claire

Hiya

Yes it does seem to be coming together, thanks in part to the marriage licences which I find very useful as they give lots of info.

I don't know where Bartholomew was from yet but it looks like he was married to a woman named Ann Rafill.

John Birch seems to have been christened in Coldred on  April 1636, the son of another John and Constance Birch. He may have had a brother named William who was born in 1639, and who was also married by Licence in 1674.

On the subject of Luknil, I wondered of it could be a variation of Luckhill, or Lucknell?

Anyhow that's all from me.

Many thanks for the help

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 November 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A possible for Bartholomew

Bartholomew Bapt. 30 Aug. 1615 Westbere, Kent, son of Thomas SPAINE.

A brother Thomas was also baptised 27 Sept.  1612.

The baptisms are also showing up in the parish registers of Ripple, Kent too. These gave a bit more info that the residence was Rodmersham.

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 November 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A possible for Bartholomew

Bartholomew Bapt. 30 Aug. 1615 Westbere, Kent, son of Thomas SPAINE.

A brother Thomas was also baptised 27 Sept.  1612.

The baptisms are also showing up in the parish registers of Ripple, Kent too. These gave a bit more info that the residence was Rodmersham.

Claire

Hi Claire

I found those two christenings myself last night. I suspect the one in Westbere is probably more likely given that it is closer to Littlebourne. Bartholomew's christening also appears in the PRs of Ripple so perhaps he (and any siblings) was also christened there, or perhaps he was re-christened when the family moved.

I have also found that Bartholomew left a Will and even more luckily there is a transcript of the Will on Rootsweb which is useful. Bartholomew seems to have lived a long life, given that his Will was written on 10 February 1697, and Probate was granted on 1 October 1698.

There are some notes attached to the bottom of the Will by the transcriber which give some more clues and bits of information. Bartholomew married Anne Rafill on 3 December 1641 in Patrixbourne, Kent. She predeceased him and was buried in Wootton on 18 October 1685.

In the Will Bartholomew names his sons Richard Spaine (who he names as executor), and Bartholomew, as well as his grandchildren Bartholomew Spaine, Augustine Spaine, and John Spain (children of his son Bartholomew). Interestingly he doesn't mention his daughter Susan (married to John Birch) so perhaps she had died by then.

If Bartholomew was born in 1615 then he would have been about 83 when he died which was fairly old for those days.

I also think I've found the christening of Bartholomew's son in law John Birch. John appears to have been christened in Coldred on 3 April 1636 (which fits with his age on the marriage licence). His parents appear to have been John and Constance Birch (spelt Burch on the christenings). I've also found that John Burch snr died in 1679 and also left a Will. The Will mentions John's wife Constance, and his sons John and William, as well as mentioning that his son John had six children.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.

Matt