Author Topic: William, Thomas, Sarah and Priscilla Mitchell who lived in Lurgan  (Read 2460 times)

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William, Thomas, Sarah and Priscilla Mitchell who lived in Lurgan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 November 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Mary Laura Doak was the wife of Wm J. Mitchell.  I think she is the daughter of Rebecca Jane Doak who is in Gilford in 1901 and died 1908.  Her son, John George Doak b 1876, said his father was Samuel and Mary (born Mary ANN Doak) said her father was Thomas.  The birth records list no father.  Rebecca is almost certainly the dau of Joseph and Mary Smart of Ballynagarrick.  Rebecca also had a son Robert b 1893 in Gilford. 

There are a few Wm J. Mitchell in Lurgan in 1911 and a Lurgan Wm J. Mitchell who died in WWI.  There is a book which talks about most of the families of those who died in the Lurgan area in WWI, but I don't have the page for this Mitchell nor the title.   If he died, Mary would have young children and might have returned to live again with John George Doak in Gilford. 

At marriage Wm J says his father is James.  James is a widower when he married Sarah.  Wm JOHN Mitchell (not said to be Wm James) who died in WWI said his parents were James and Annie of James St, Lurgan.  I'm not finding them in the census.  I am finding Annie Eliza Steenson married to a James Mitchell in 1877 and she probably died in 1886 in the Lurgan area.  James said his father was Samuel and I have a Samuel and Annie in Moyraverty with son James b 1854, slightly earlier than the several dates James claims.  I don't know if anything fits together with all these name changes, but perhaps someone can access more information.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I think William James Mitchell survived the war, this from a local (NI) newspaper of May 1918:

Mrs. W.J. Mitchell, 51 Wellington Street, Lurgan, has received intimation that her husband, Sergeant W.J. Mitchell, Royal Irish Fusiliers, has been wounded in action and is now in hospital in England.

Wellington Street Lurgan is the address recorded in the birth record for a further child born in 1920 to William James Mitchell and Mary Laura Doak, I'll pm you the details.

Also noticed that GRONI online has a marriage on 7 August 1935 for a Priscilla Mitchell to William Wilson, the registration district given as Craigavon, it could be a co-incidence of name, though the name isn't common.   

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 November 17 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Gaffy and Kat . I am really grateful to you for this and I shall follow this up. Hopefully the Priscilla marriage will help me. X
Rosemary xx
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Priscilla lived in Lower Lake Street in 1935 and her husband William Wilson came from Bridge Street South.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)