Author Topic: 3 Daughters all of whom have ilegitimate children - Coincedence?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3 Daughters all of whom have ilegitimate children - Coincedence?
« on: Sunday 29 October 17 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I'm doing some research into an 1850's North Wales Farmer family that could be part of my own roots.
Reviewing the census and looking through the pages of the local Baptism records the 3 eldest daughters all appear to produce illegitimate children - between them all 9 in total (and still counting).

A few children are listed through the decade and then all the daughters Margaret, Elizabeth and Jane bring to the church 5 of their latest for a baptism (20th April 1855). Its quite a strange page to stumble across, and I haven't seen anything like this before.

So anyone seen something similar before?
Any theories as to why? (there is one horrible one that I'm hoping isn't the case....)

I've seen one or two illegitimate children to one mother but not something that appears to be a regular occurrence in one family!

Neil

Illegitimate Child count (so far!):

Jane Williams (b. 1826) - William Lloyd, Robert, Anne, Jane
Margaret Williams (b. 1827) - Mary, Grace, Elizabeth
Elizabeth Williams (b. 1830) - Peter, Elias

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Daughters all of whom have ilegitimate children - Coincedence?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 October 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm..... interesting question.... and the farmer/father is not named Elias?

You might check out the birth months, could well be the fruits of "harvest home" or sheep shearing celebrations perhaps?

Often, in the case of illegitimacy a boy child would be named for his father: thus Peter Farraday Jones might be the child of Peter Farraday. (I have no idea why I thought up that name!! :P)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Member
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 17 09:30 GMT (UK) »
My 2xgreat grandmother, Hannah Maria Coxhead, had 5 illegitimate children in and around Newbury BRK, between 1858 and 1872. 

I thought that was pretty amazing.

She married in Dec 1872 and had three other children.

West Berks - Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham
South Bucks - Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall - Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants - Hine/Hind
South Oxon - Barlow Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk - Philpott Stone
Surrey Edwards Knight Lanaway
Wilts (Downton) Bishop

GEDmatch kit : A134159 or UV4226553

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I've read somewhere that illegitimacy didn't matter so much to the poorer classes - in Victorian times it was only really important when there was property to inherite and heirs needed. It was later on in the 20th century that's the "stigma" arouse in the working classes.
In my tree the one family (mining stock in the Black Country) Nearly every Family in that small area had at least one child born before marriage. If I look at the one line who would have been around the same time as yours:
Alice - 2 kids before marrying
Nancy - 2 kids
Samuel - 4 kids. This was the 1850s/1860s and the following generation also followed suit .

Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline Muffin41

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 October 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I have found that one ancestor had a daughter; the father being summoned and then paid 1s 6d every week for the child. (1849)
She then had six more illegitimate children 3 boys and 3 girls. Two boys and a girl died within 3 years of being born. (1850īs)
Last and not lest she had another daughter and married the father (?) when he was 73 years old shortly before he died. (1862)  ::)
Eight children in all and five lived until they were over 60 years old.
Nothing surprises me any more when researching my ancestors. ;D

Muffin41
Pow in Bath Somerset, Essex, Middlesex, Lancashire, Surrey, Australia, New Zealand and USA
Bailey, Hare, in Bath & Taunton Somerset
Nash in Seend Wiltshire, Bath Somerset
Snook in Middlesex, Leicestershire, Surrey, Berkshire, Portugal and Canada
Billinghurst, Furlonger, Hoare, Huntingford, Tilbury, Webb in Surrey

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 October 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I have an instance of 4 children being born to a single mother - 1819-1830.  She finally married in 1831 and died in 1834 having produced two more children.  Her husband, in his will dated 1845, acknowledges all 6 children as being his, and also makes provision for the children's sister who has raised them since 1834. 

My theory is that the marriage could not take place earlier as the husband was obliged to care for his mother.  Mother was buried 31 March 1831, and the marriage took place, by Licence, on 23 April 1831.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 October 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I've encountered a similar thing - multiple daughters having illegitimate children in isolated locations.

Of course there could be a sinister reason behind it, but I think that's much less likely than sisters simply being similar in character. I suppose it's always worth searching newspapers etc for mentions of any male relatives living with them, for any articles which might shed light on their character.
Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 October 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I have two illegitimate daughters born 11 months apart in the same London workhouse. Both have the same surname and apparently different mothers.

I don't know whether the two mothers are related in any way as I can't find them on the census.
They may be sisters. They may the same woman using a different first name.

Victorian "morality" is something of a sham, perhaps an ideal of how people should live. But judging by the level of illegitimacy in my family it bears little resemblance to the real world - at least for the poor.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 October 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother Ann Davies apparently had 6 illegitimate children in Wallasey and her sister Phoebe had another two - one of whom had an illegitimate son of her own. I say "apparently" because despite the records all evidence points to Ann's last son - my great grandfather William Davies - was most likely the son of her eldest daughter, who brought him up along with her legitimate family.

If this is true that would make four generations of illegitimacy because my grandmother was born just before William's marriage to Annie Fellowes (herself seemingly illegitimate as no marriage found for her parents) though they registered her afterwards as a cover-up.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)