Author Topic: A Baptism for John MILES c.1830 in Widcombe, near Bath  (Read 2337 times)

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
A Baptism for John MILES c.1830 in Widcombe, near Bath
« on: Sunday 29 October 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Can anyone who is privy to the Widcombe Parish Records tell me whether there is a baptism for a John MILES in about 1830.  He was my gt-gt-grandfather, and has always proved elusive.  And if he is indeed lurking there whether the MILES family appear elsewhere in these records, in other words remained settled in this parish for a while.
Many thanks,
Keith

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Baptism for John MILES c.1830 in Widcombe, near Bath
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 October 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Somerset Baptism Index has the following

John Miles bapt. 10 October 1830 Lyncombe & Widcombe. Parents Thomas and Sarah. Thomas gives occupation as Painter and their abode as Perry Wood Place.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Skelton,
Thanks so much for taking the time to look that up for me!
Keith
Sorry, this tablet has a mind of its own, deciding how words should look after I've pressed the send button, Emeltom...

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 01:04 GMT (UK) »
John Miles was indeed baptised at Widcombe on 10 Oct 1830 but his parents were James and Sarah. Father's occupation was Painter, but abode Peterbourg Place (more usually spelled "Petersburgh").

Both Ancestry and FreeREG have this, I don't know where Thomas was found.

(Petersburgh Place no longer exists. It was in the Dolemeads area,  a row of a dozen or so houses running south from Ferry Lane to the railway.)

David

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 08:19 GMT (UK) »
According to the Somerset Baptism Index the information can be found on page 112 of the Bishops Transcripts.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 17 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Goodness,
Did the records sometimes get mistranscribed by whoever copied them down for the Bishop?  I suppose mistakes were made, and one would prefer to refer to the original Parish Records, though sometimes the incumbent priest or his parish clerk made mistakes.  Have two baptisms simply been mixed up?
Keith

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 October 17 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Mistakes can happen at any stage. The image on Ancestry is very clear but "James" and "Thomas" are quite easily confused if an image is poor or the handwriting is very bad. It's even possible the vicar got in a muddle and wrote the wrong name in the original entry, there were 7 baptisms on that day. However in this case the father's name is confirmed as the family can be seen in the 1841 census (plus a daughter Sarah aged 8 ).

To answer the rest of your initial question, they didn't stay long in Widcombe. Sarah Ann was baptised in 1832 when the family were living in Walcot Street. By 1841 they were at Lower Midsummer Buildings (which was in the area now called Fairfield Park but was then an isolated terrace surrounded by fields on the northern edge of the city).

The parents were still there in 1851, which is nice as it gives you their birth places. They also have another daughter Caroline aged 6, so her birth registration should give you her mother's maiden name. (See BathBMD).

David

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:49 GMT (UK) »
David,
Thanks SO much for going the extra mile (unintended pun in the context of this thread!) for me.  What you have told me in your post above gives me several new lines of discovery. 
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 October 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I may have been over-optimistic. I can't see any birth registration for Caroline. She was baptised at Larkhall in 1844, as Caroline Dickman Miles, daughter of James and Sarah. So perhaps Sarah's maiden name was Dickman, but that could be James's mother's maiden name or some other relative's.

It also looks like James and Sarah had several other children, in various parts of Bath. Most useful is a Charles baptised in 1840 when they seem to have been back in Dolemeads. He was registered, with mother's maiden name Baker. (Unless of course there were two James Miles in Bath who were painters and had wives called Sarah.) They appear to have married at South Stoke in 1822.

Was your gt-gt-grandfather the John Charles Miles who married Elizabeth Upton in Birmingham and later lived in Eastbourne?

David