Author Topic: Apperleys of Pershore  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Apperleys of Pershore
« on: Sunday 29 October 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone done any in depth research into this family please?  I'm really looking at Edwin Apperley born 1838 in Pershore, died 1900 in Bromsgrove.  He had 11 children and I believe I have a family link with one of them (this has come up through DNA testing and I don't have a link in my tree based just on BCs and records etc).  Four of us have DNA links to various of the 11 and of course we then have common DNA links to Edwin but I'm unable to see which of the 11 is my ancestor.  The others can find their links via records so I'm assuming there is some sort of illegitimacy or informal adoption which just doesn't show in my own tree. I think any research will really be for background info as I need more descendants of the siblings to actually do DNA tests to find which one I should be looking at but I'm still very interested in anything I can find!

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Apperleys of Pershore
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm not a researcher of the family but there are 4 or 5 trees on Ancestry.
I've checked the GRO index and there are at least 13 children

Louisa Apperley 1861–1932
Alice Apperley 1865–1926
Emily Apperley 1866–
William Apperley June 1868
William Edwin Apperley 1869–1932
Elizabeth June 1871
Alfred Dec 1873
Florence Apperley 1875–1947
Lavinia Apperley 1876–1916
Edgar Apperley 1877–1969
Edwin Apperley 1879–1963
Alfred Ernest Apperley 1883–1953
Ernest Apperley 1885–1962

I can't find any GRO entries for the children 1859-1864  which seems odd but that could be down to spelling of the surname.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just Googled the surname, Pershore and genealogy and found this http://www.armadale.org.uk/wellsgenealogy/apperley/apperley.htm  It's a worldwide researcher portal so you can contact others.

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for that information.  I now have even more siblings to look at!  And that research into the family name looks very interesting too.  I always come away with helpful information whenever I come on this site and I do appreciate it.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 November 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

I wonder if its worth you contacting the Pershore Heritage Centre as they may have something that could help you

All the very best

Phil
Weston-Super-Mare (born Worcester City)
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your ideas on this. 

I may have had a major breakthrough as it seems an older cousin if mine remembers family gossip that one of our ancestors had a relationship with a Mr Appleby (near enough to Apperley I imagine) who lived in Bromsgrove Road in Redditch.  This was just after the time of the last available census and I can't see any useful directories online at the moment to help me identify him.  Can anyone tell me how I can look at the Electoral Roll for the periods between 1915 and 1925 please?  I'm not sure how I can go about this or what might be available...

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think that the electoral registers have been moved from Redditch Library to The Hive at Worcester.

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 17 11:23 GMT (UK) »
If you can get to The HIVE at Worcester there are quite a few books on Reddich among the items for sale in the cabinets on the 2nd floor by the reception desk & who knows the name you seek may be mentioned in one of them & whill there you could have a look at the films of parish registers as well which may solve another of your problems.  I regret that Im not in a position to undertake this look up as I have a very big look up to do already but I wish you luck with your research

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin