Author Topic: Help with an ancestor from Monaghan?  (Read 3450 times)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with an ancestor from Monaghan?
« on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

If anyone is able, I would really appreciate some help looking up someone!

I'm trying to find more on my great, great grandfather, Thomas Wilson. He was born in Monaghan around 1860... 1860 seems to be the most reasonable guess.

All else I know about him is that, at some point, he moved to England and married Elizabeth Wylie Rodie in Liverpool, England, in 1884.

He had 2 children I know of... Susan McPherson Wilson, born 1885 in Kirkdale, Liverpool and James Wilson, born 1888 in Kirkdale, Liverpool.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to find out more?

Thank you in advance!

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with an ancestor from Monaghan?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his marriage Cert it may show his fathers name. As he was born c 1860 there will not be a Civil birth (started in 1864) so you will have to rely on baptism record. What denomination was
Thomas?

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his marriage Cert it may show his fathers name. As he was born c 1860 there will not be a Civil birth (started in 1864) so you will have to rely on baptism record. What denomination was
Thomas?
[/quote

Sadly, I don't have any of that information. All I wrote down is all that I have.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
from a quick look at Ancestry stuff:
The 1891 census says he was born in Monaghan and Elizabeth was born in Scotland. It's sort of hard to read, but looks like Wigtonshire.(?) The children at that stage were Susan M aged 5 and James aged 2.
From the 1871 Scotland census, her parents were Thomas and Elizabeth.

She died in 1939 and left something to a David Henry Wilson.

An attached family tree on Ancestry has Thomas born 27 Aug 1859 in Belfast, but not exactly citing sources on that. If you are not a member, it might be worth getting a free trial and having a look yourself.

The same tree lists Thomas' parents as James (1840-) and Emily (1844-) but you know, pinch of salt and all that without proof.

Apologies, I see most of this is on another thread you have.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Parents of Thomas given as James Wilson & Elizabeth Scott. Thomas born in Clontibret Monaghan 27th August 1859. Marriage of James Wilson & Elizabeth Scott 23 Jan 1857 in Tynan Armagh (this place about 10miles from Monaghan) James listed as widowed on this marriage
www.nationalarchives.ie  Griffith Valuation records has a James Wilson in Parish of Clontibret Monaghan in 1860 Townland of Letterbane.

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Parents of Thomas given as James Wilson & Elizabeth Scott. Thomas born in Clontibret Monaghan 27th August 1859. Marriage of James Wilson & Elizabeth Scott 23 Jan 1857 in Tynan Armagh (this place about 10miles from Monaghan) James listed as widowed on this marriage
www.nationalarchives.ie  Griffith Valuation records has a James Wilson in Parish of Clontibret Monaghan in 1860 Townland of Letterbane.

Hello - where did you find all of that info and how?! That's a lot more than I was able to dig up!

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 October 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »

So I have now found that James's father was George (I found the marriage cert from James/Elizabeth Scott's wedding). Elizabeth's father is listed as John Scott.

From there, I suppose, I don't really know what to do/how to proceed. I can't seem to find anything, at least with the methods I know about, pertaining to James's birthday or any relevant birth records.

Thoughts, anyone?

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 October 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
from a quick look at Ancestry stuff:
The 1891 census says he was born in Monaghan and Elizabeth was born in Scotland. It's sort of hard to read, but looks like Wigtonshire.(?) The children at that stage were Susan M aged 5 and James aged 2.
From the 1871 Scotland census, her parents were Thomas and Elizabeth.

She died in 1939 and left something to a David Henry Wilson.

An attached family tree on Ancestry has Thomas born 27 Aug 1859 in Belfast, but not exactly citing sources on that. If you are not a member, it might be worth getting a free trial and having a look yourself.

The same tree lists Thomas' parents as James (1840-) and Emily (1844-) but you know, pinch of salt and all that without proof.

Apologies, I see most of this is on another thread you have.

Not a problem, I greatly appreciate your willingness to help me out!!

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »

Hey everyone,

Any other thoughts on this? I know now from the Thomas Wilson and Elizabeth Scott marriage cert that Thomas's father's name was apparently George, but I am totally stuck on any further details :/

Thanks!

Camden