Author Topic: Searching for George Glue/Glew B 1860 a brick wall  (Read 4127 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for George Glue/Glew B 1860 a brick wall
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 November 17 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - my mistake.  I meant to say do you think the George GLEW d 1880, Northcote,  could be the missing father?  The dates are good and it would explain a lot if George had set himself up with another 'wife' and had other children.  I would think Christina would feel quite justified in saying she was a widow - she may, perhaps, have not known where George was.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 November 17 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Actually I didn't thing about that scenario, so, have been checking out the indexes you sent re George D:1880 his wife Alice and the two daughters, in doing so I found 2more children AGNES 1855 and JAMES GEORGE 1857, and George and his wife Agnes married in 1854, this whole family is buried at the Northcote Cemetery.

The mother of my George is Mary, not Ann, however I could discount that fact, but, as my missing George married Christina Laird in 1854, also having 4 children, William 1855, Kathleen 1858, George 1860 (my original post was to find him) and Charles 1862.

So, until I can come up with another death, I will have to stay with the Adelaide one.
Thanks so much,

Judy

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 November 17 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Judy

The extra info rules him out. I thought it was too good to be true!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline mossvaliant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 April 20 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Australian Glues
I am a descendant of George Glue and have been researching his life - along with considerable help from my cousin Judy, who has also contributed to this message board.
I have some confusing information which you may be able to help with.
My information shows  George Glue married Carolina Leaird (or Laird) in Harting, Sussex on 12 Sep 1829. Then I have George Glue marrying Christiana (or Christina) Laird in Kilmore, Vic. in 1854.
Are these two different Glues and is there a link between Carolina and Christiana?
Many thanks
Ian

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 April 20 03:42 BST (UK) »
I think you may find the 1854 marriage is indexed as George GLEW and Christina TAYERD .... Vic bdm online index #25724.

Vic bdm has discounts at the mo  and the info on images of Vic marriages is usually very detailed. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 April 20 03:45 BST (UK) »
hi judith 

George and Christina married in Kilmore. 28 july 1854, both of the parish of Bylands, Kilsyth she was only 17 years of age the marriage was by license and she had her fathers consent, both signed with a cross (no more info)

William Birth cert 25 May 1855, place Kilsyth, father George Glue occupation "Sawyer" born Sussex England , mother Christina Laird

William married as William Russell 2 May 1877 in Tasmania  to Eliza Jane Biddle, occupation "Splitter"

William Death 1926 place Beech Forrest District, "timber worker" parents George Glue and Christina Kenny Nee Laird

George only indexes for B & D, however I did find a marriage cert on another tree, To Mary Ryan 12 march 1850 in Kilsyth Occupation "Labourer" Parents William Glue and Christina Laird.

The info you sent re convicts, there have been some errors on different docs, George was Single a Farm Labourer and Joseph married with 2 children he was the bricklayer. Joseph was Geeorge's nephew.

Any wonder one gets confused!! I don't know how you at Rootschat put it all together so quickly, I have been battling with George as I said for a very long time, so, thank you all very much

Judy

Sharing.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline mossvaliant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 April 20 07:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM - I'll check the vic BDMs .
Any idea about the 1829 marriage in Harting?
Is it the same George?
Ian

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 April 20 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM - I'll check the vic BDMs .
Any idea about the 1829 marriage in Harting?
Is it the same George?
Ian

The Vic bdm digitised images are available to download and should include great depth of detail.  They are as detailed as Scottish bdms.  ;D

So, the info on a birth rego should include details about the baby's parents,  including their then ages, origins, occupations, etc .  :)

so perhaps you could consider  a $20Au outlay on a digitised image of a birth rego ...

hopefully it will  confirm the age of that George and will also contain info to match the 1854 marriage and sort out spelling of the surname for George's wife ... and of course validate your own research...  :)

JM

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 April 20 07:17 BST (UK) »
Back to early 1800s, Sussex, UK

The name George GLUE is quite common in the West Sussex area in the 1800s so it's not always possible to work out who is who.

I've looked at info from Ancestry, Find My Past and FreeReg for the period 1800 - 1834 when George was convicted. All of these villages are within walking distance, and Chichester, which is shown as his 'origin' on some convict records, is the nearest city and appears to be where his trial was held.

Baptism
George Glue,   23 Apr 1809,  Rogate, Sussex, England, United Kingdom
Mother:     Mary Glue

Marriage - the bride does not have the name you listed, so I doubt if there was any connection with Christina Laird
Sussex, South Harting, St Mary and St Gabriel,12 Sep 1829
George GLEW of Harting, bachelor
Ann GLEW of Harting, spinster
Witness1   Joseph GLEW
Witness2   Hannah GLEW
Notes   Bride, Groom, Witness 1 and Witness 2 signed X

Is this a child of that marriage?  Caution as there was another George GLEW with wife Ann having children at around the same time. I cannot see this Charlotte in 1841, nor her mother Ann.
Baptism,
Charlotte GLEW, 10 February 1833 at Rogate Church: St Bartholomew
Parish Register, #525
Parents: George GLEW, labourer, Ann

It doesn't seem possible to me to be able to say whether the marriage and the child's baptism belong to your man. 

Judith

PS South Harting and Rogate are lovely villages with interesting churches and nice pubs!