Author Topic: Searching for George Glue/Glew B 1860 a brick wall  (Read 4120 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for George Glue/Glew B 1860 a brick wall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 01:29 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find a birth cert for G Grandfather William James, he married in 1887 under the name of Russell, then, when I eventually found his death cert he was listed as William James Glue (Alias Russell) his parents George and Christina were listed on this certificate, so this is the first I knew that we were originally Glues and not Russell, from this I was able to find his birth certificate, he was born in Kilsyth Vic.
From the records I have it seems his father was out of their life by the time William was about 9 years old and his brother George whom you have just found for me was about 4 years old. I have found the marriage cert for George Russell and Mary Jones on another tree and listed as his parents are William and Ctina Laird.
Russell isn't a familiar name in the family so they must have chosen it at random, also from the records they did keep in touch with their mother Ctina. G Grandfather William is buried with his mother. As for George their father whether he changed his name is not known

Judy

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 02:46 GMT (UK) »
... if he was still alive when Christina remarried she was a bigamist...
While it looks like in this case the wife claimed the husband had died and the Registrar look it on face value, there were also grounds for divorce in cases of desertion. Under The (Victorian) Marriage and Matrimonial Causes Statute 1864, a wife could present a petition to the Supreme Court for dissolution of the marriage on the ground, inter alia, "of adultery coupled with desertion without reasonable excuse for two years or upwards". Although not explicitly for desertion alone!  Desertion alone seemed to be grounds only for an order of maintenance and apprehension of the husband. [https://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdb//au/legis/vic/hist_act/tmamcs1864385/]

... Russell isn't a familiar name in the family so they must have chosen it at random ...
It's interesting where these names come from. I found one in-law rellie who living in a certain street at one point, and seems to have adopted that street's name as his surname at some point later.

Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the birth certificates for either/both George and William?  Or the marriage cert for George snr and Christina?  Wondering what occupation was put for George snr.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 06:59 GMT (UK) »
This adds nothing but there is a very short account of the trial of George and Joseph GLUE (and others) at Horsham Quarter Sessions 30 June 1834.

Reported in
The Sussex Advertiser, or Lewes and Brighthelmston Journal (Lewes, England), Monday, July 07, 1834
....prisoners on charge of felony............................
George GLUE and Joseph GLUE for stealing at the parish of Rogate, four sacks of paoatoes, the property of John BUCKLE Esq, value 12s.  Each transported for Seven Years.

According to the convict indent George, 25, was a bricklayer (good), married with 2 sons; Joseph, 35, farm servant, shepherd, is listed as married with a daughter.  The conviction for George is listed as "stealing from a barn".

Could this death be George snr??  :-\ 
Reg Victoria, 1880, #7997
George GLEW, 70
Mother's name:   Ann

One of the on-line trees has his mother as Ann, and PROV has this man's occupation as bricklayer, which is the occupation given on the convict indent.  He leaves all to his wife Agnes GLEW. Agnes died in 1911.

From PROV
https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

George GLEW. Date of grant of probate: 24 Jan 1881; Date of death: 26 Sep 1880; Occupation: Bricklayer; Residence: Northcote. (Residence shown in document as High St, Northcote.

Funeral notice for this man:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5980426

Death of Agnes:
1911 #14321
Agnes White GLEW, 92
Parents: Jas London, Ellen (Wardrop) Place of birth
Place of death: Ncote

Interestingly there is this birth:
Victoria, 1860, #1372
Jessie Isabella GLEW
Father's name: George
Mother's name: Agnes (Lowden)
Place of birth: NORT

Place of birth - Northcote?  Did George father 2 children in 1860??

Jessie married in 1888
Victoria, 1888, #8479
Jessie Isabella GLEW
Louis CUNE

And died in 1890
Victoria 1890 #3798 Registration year1890
Jessie Isabella CUNE
Father: George GLEW  Mother's name: Agnes (Loudon)
Place of death: Ncote

Could be barking up the wrong tree entirely.   ::)  ???

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Another daughter for George GLEW and his wife Agnes

Death Victoria 1885 #2907
Alice GLEW, 22
Parents: Geo., Agnes (Lowden)
Place of death: PRN ALF.HO

Death Notice for Alice:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/196960744

In Memoriam for Alice 1886
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/199449914

Can't see a birth reg for Alice.

Judith

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
hi judith 

George and Christina married in Kilmore. 28 july 1854, both of the parish of Bylands, Kilsyth she was only 17 years of age the marriage was by license and she had her fathers consent, both signed with a cross (no more info)

William Birth cert 25 May 1855, place Kilsyth, father George Glue occupation "Sawyer" born Sussex England , mother Christina Laird

William married as William Russell 2 May 1877 in Tasmania  to Eliza Jane Biddle, occupation "Splitter"

William Death 1926 place Beech Forrest District, "timber worker" parents George Glue and Christina Kenny Nee Laird

George only indexes for B & D, however I did find a marriage cert on another tree, To Mary Ryan 12 march 1850 in Kilsyth Occupation "Labourer" Parents William Glue and Christina Laird.

The info you sent re convicts, there have been some errors on different docs, George was Single a Farm Labourer and Joseph married with 2 children he was the bricklayer. Joseph was Geeorge's nephew.

Any wonder one gets confused!! I don't know how you at Rootschat put it all together so quickly, I have been battling with George as I said for a very long time, so, thank you all very much

Judy

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 November 17 05:04 GMT (UK) »
So you don't think the George GLEW, d 1921, Victoria is the disappearing father of your man? 

Judith

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 November 17 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes I do !  He is my missing George, I downloaded the death cert for him he died from (MinersDisease) listed his children also, the marriage for him and Mary Ryan place should be at Kilmore Not Kilsyth (my error) The deceased children are buried at the Kilmore Cemetery.

With your help and roots chat and some follow up research I have now been able to get him and his family together, There were actually 9 children, not 8, one child died in 1907,at 14 years of age (Trove) she was badly burnt as a result of burns, so bad she had to have her right arm amputated and she died from shock.

As I said before it amazes me that I can search for a long long time with no breakthrough and within  a few hours you solve it.Thank you
Judy

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 November 17 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Just so there is no confusion thought I had better say The death for George 1921 is for the person of my original post born 1860
The missing father, also George is still not sorted I have a death for him in Adelaide in 1868 but not convinced it is actually him, only time and more research will give me that answer.
So much to think about I think my head is a bit addled!!!