Author Topic: Searching for George Glue/Glew B 1860 a brick wall  (Read 4132 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for George Glue/Glew B 1860 a brick wall
« on: Monday 30 October 17 01:09 GMT (UK) »
George was born 1860, son of my GG Grandfather George Glue (Convict arriving here in 1834) and Christina Laird.

He is one of 4 children, 
 William James Glue b 1855 my G Grandfather who changed his surname to Russell.
 Kathleen Glue b 1858 and died aged 18,
 Charles Glue b 1862 died aged 15

The only record I have been able to find for George is a birth Index B 1860 Reg in Plenty, Vic. He is listed as deceased on his mothers death certificate in 1926.

I have done all I know how to do, can someone please help me.

Incidently his parents separated when he was a young child and his father died in Adelaide in 1868

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for George Glue/Glew B 1860 a brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't answer the question, but I presume you have seen this Glue thread on the father on Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com.au/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=4&p=surnames.glue). There seem to be a few people researching that Glue family.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I have seen those posts quite some time back, I have found that, some people just can't be found!

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Death for a George RUSSELL son of George and Ctina LAIRD recorded in VIC bmds.
Reg #9439 CWOOD in 1921.
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

Essie

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Essie
This is correct, I didn't think to look for him under name of Russell, however it does throw the cat among the pigeons! One wonders why he lists his father as George Russell and not Glue

His mother Christina Laird remarried 9 April 1868 she states she was widowed since 1864, young George was about 8 at the time.

I have not been settled about the death of his father George Glue on 26 Sep 1868 in Adelaide,
 somehow it doesn't seem right for 2 reasons, if he was still alive when Christina remarried she was a bigamist, and how and why would he be in Adelaide? However  this was the only death I could find.
I spoke to the cemetery in Adelaide and was told there was no next of kin, he was not born in the country and is in a paupers grave! so I thought a death certificate wouldn't give me any more info.

Judy

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 06:04 GMT (UK) »
There is an on-line tree for a George RUSSELL, died 26 August 1921.  It suggests that George was married 12 March 1890 to Mary RYAN at Kilmore, reg no 7782.  There are 8 children listed to this couple. 

Mary died before George according to this Death Notice from TROVE which lists 6 children.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/206716065

As to his father's name on his death record - perhaps the informant for the record did not know that he had another surname.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Essie
This is correct, I didn't think to look for him under name of Russell, .................I have not been settled about the death of his father George Glue on 26 Sep 1868 in Adelaide,.....................I spoke to the cemetery in Adelaide and was told there was no next of kin, he was not born in the country and is in a paupers grave! so I thought a death certificate wouldn't give me any more info.

Judy

Hi Judy

A George Glue arrived in Adelaide from Sydney in October 1848 and had several criminal offences in Adelaide.  His death was also reported.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=%22George+GLUE%22&l-state=South+Australia

SA death certificates in that era have no family information.

This same man appears to have had a son - Frederick Henry Adams GLEW born 13 Dec 1864, and a daughter Elizabeth Ann Adams GLUE born 5 Jun 1867, both with Harriet ADAMS.  They then married on 10 FEB 1868, surname recorded as GLEN and his age as 62 and Harriet aged 28! Harriet GLUE aged 31 remarried in 1871.

Essie

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Judith and Essie  Thank you both for helping me.

This George Russell and Mary Ryan are definitely my George, I have had a good look at the info given to me and it just fits

In regard to the Harriet Adams marriage I  have seen an mulled over that many times but the dates just don't fit for G.G Grandfather  George (Convict), which has bought me to the conclusion now that the death I thought was for My G.G. Grandfather in Adelaide more likely belongs to the husband of Harriet Adams not to me. So, that settles my mind, his death will now have to be found!

Thanks again   Judy

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Do you know when your G Grandfather changed his name to RUSSELL?  Was it a family name or do you think they just chose a random name?  I wonder if the father changed his name also. 

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk