Author Topic: Searching for George Glue/Glew B 1860 a brick wall  (Read 4050 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for George Glue/Glew B 1860 a brick wall
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 April 20 07:47 BST (UK) »
I may be repeating some of the information that follows, but I am posting it here to help as I think it is supporting much of the research Judith has just posted.

It is from an index, and my transcription of that index is:
November 1834
George GLUE arrived per Hooghley (4), on 18 Nov 1834 to Sydney NSW.
At that time he was recorded as aged 25 years, and a protestant and he could read.  He was a married man with two daughters.  He was born Sussex, and was a good Bricklayer.  He had been tried for Robbing a barn, trial at Sussex Quarter Sessions, 30 July 1834, sentenced to 7 years.  He had a previous conviction with a one month sentence.  He had tatoos including 'A GLUE' inside his lower left arm.   He was the nephew to convict no. 34/2648 (Joseph GLUE, per same voyage of the Hoogley). 

Also possibly/probably in NSW in that era were :
George Glue per Atlas
George Glue per Mars
George Glue per Bolina

I should also note the following 1826 marriage:
13 March 1826
George GLEW, aged 21, free by servitude, of Sydney, a nailer and Mary MORRISON, aged 22 of Sydney, a spinster were married by Banns,  by Rev Richard Hill, recorded in the parish register of St James C of E, Sydney.  Witnesses : George WELCH of Castlereagh St, Sydney and Isaac MASON of King Street, Sydney.  All made their x mark except Isaac Mason who signed.

ADD,  George GLEW and Mary MORRISON banns read 26 Feb 1826,  5 March 1826 and 12 March 1826.  George was noted as a Bachelor.  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 April 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
I have found another George GLEW ....  :D

Arriving as Assisted Imigrants on the John Bright to NSW 8 June 1849

George GLEW aged 38, a Bricklayer,  C of E, read and write
Eliza GLEW, aged 29, wife,

:) digitised images, readily available no charge, per NSW archives

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4786&ship=John%20Bright

ADD, Ancestry has this George as from Snenton, Nottinghamshire.  The transcriber has erred.  Eliza's entry has her from Snenton, George is clearly shown as from Bolton, Lincolnshire.  :-X ::) ::)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline mossvaliant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 April 20 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you JM and Judith,
It seems that the marriage in Harting could have been his first marriage but not to Carolina Laird - this just looks like a bit of confusion in the name.
I also purchased a copy of the marriage certificate between George and Christina Laird in Kilmore.
The handwriting is a bit obscure and I can see why its been picked up as Tayerd but is definitely Laird or Leaird.
I would like to follow up the first marriage- did George marry Christina whilst still married to Ann?
Many thanks
Ian

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 April 20 01:56 BST (UK) »
Is there any age on the Kilmore marriage?  It was very common for convicts to record as 'widower' or 'bachelor' on a subsequent marriage. and I believe it was legal, depending on the length of time since the original couple had been in contact. 

Could you transcribe the Kilmore marriage fully please?  The Sussex George would have been 45 at the time of the Kilmore marriage - quite an age gap with a 17year-old bride.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mossvaliant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 April 20 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,
Not a lot of information on the record.
It says "Marriages Solemnised in the Parish of Bylands Kilmore 1854
No.12 George Glew of Bylands Kilmore .Bach(elor)
Christina Laird .Spins(ter)
Married in the residence of Rev Wm Singleton by Licence with consent of Edw.Cole
This twentyeighth day of July in the year 1854 by me Wm Singleton Cl? 25724
This marriage was solemnised between us
George Glew x his mark
Christina Laird x her mark
In the presence of Edward Cole of Kilmore
                            C Cook of Kilmore
Interesting that the consent was given by Edward Cole. I wonder what relationship he was to Christina? Also why did she leave Hobart and end up in Kilmore at such a young age?
Over to you,
Many thanks
Ian

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 16 April 20 01:08 BST (UK) »
Is that all on the left hand side of the page ... is there more information on the right hand side? 

I am not sure when details like their origins,ages, parents names  etc were first recorded on Vic certs... 

Hi Judith,
Not a lot of information on the record.
It says "Marriages Solemnised in the Parish of Bylands Kilmore 1854
No.12 George Glew of Bylands Kilmore .Bach(elor)
Christina Laird .Spins(ter)
Married in the residence of Rev Wm Singleton by Licence with consent of Edw.Cole
This twentyeighth day of July in the year 1854 by me Wm Singleton Cl? 25724
This marriage was solemnised between us
George Glew x his mark
Christina Laird x her mark
In the presence of Edward Cole of Kilmore
                            C Cook of Kilmore
Interesting that the consent was given by Edward Cole. I wonder what relationship he was to Christina? Also why did she leave Hobart and end up in Kilmore at such a young age?
Over to you,
Many thanks
Ian

JM

Offline mossvaliant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 16 April 20 01:21 BST (UK) »
no thats everything.
You are correct that marriage certs included a lot more info later on

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 16 April 20 01:27 BST (UK) »
So there is no reason to conclude from that 1854 m.c. that that particular George was previously married or that he was much older than his bride or that he was born in Britain ...  or that his bride had come from Hobart...

All speculations.

JM

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 16 April 20 02:21 BST (UK) »
Edward COLE, according to the probate papers for his estate died in 1869 (15 years prior after his giving consent to the marriage of Christina) and was a farmer of Bylands near Kilmore. Again, from those papers at the time of his death he was married with children, although I'm not seeing any registrations.   

Perhaps he was the only adult Christina knew at the time of her marriage.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk