Author Topic: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood  (Read 3716 times)

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 June 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi! I'm back again on the Christie trail after 3 years!
Now I believe that the James Christie who was a printer and went to Canada is NOT my James Christie. However I am still struggling to unpick it all; there are so many similarities eg going to Airdrie, New Monkland where my Grandfathers line ended up.

My James Christie is born 18 July 1820 (bap. 9 Aug 1820) in Perth. He is son of James Christie the Gunmaker and Ann Rough. I have their marriage as 15 Oct 1841 however, on Ancestry, the James Christie who went to Canada (born 24 Apr 1819 in Perth) also quotes that same marriage. How can I prove or disprove the marriage record as being linked to my line?

My Jane Sherwood I have as being born 22 June 1815 in Perth, daug of George Sherwood (Shoemaker) and Margaret Young however again, the Canada James Christie has these details for his Jane Sherwood.

Am I right in thinking my James b. 1820 is indeed the James I detailed previously as having died 6 Dec 1862 in Royal Murray Hospital in Perth?

I can't find James death as I incorrectly had 9 Oct 1859 but now I realise this is the wife of the Canada James C.

Apologies for coming back on this after all of this time.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 June 20 14:52 BST (UK) »

So 'my' James Christie b. 18 July 1820 probably did marry Helen Rae.

Yet on the marriage certificate of my 2 x Gt Grandmother, Agnes Tuff (Tough) Christie when she married Robert Thomson states her parents as James Christie and Jane Sherwood.
And there I am, full circle back!

Help please!

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 June 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
I’ve had another look at this and I am still convinced that your James was the son of John Christie and Ann McIntosh ( not John Christie and Ann Rough). They called one of their daughters Ann McIntosh Christie which is fairly compelling. Your James Christie formed a relationship with Margaret Watson after the death of his wife in 1859 and they eventually went to Canada. It may be that the person on Ancestry who lists this James  as being the son of John Christie and Ann Rough has made a mistake. The James Christie who died in 1862 who was married to Helen Rae is not yours.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 June 20 16:31 BST (UK) »
Jane Christie who married my relative James McLellan Gray in 1862 in Airdrie,  was the dau. of James Christie, Printer & Jane Sherwood, and appears on the 1861 census for Airdrie with her widowed father and also a sister Agnes b ca 1850 in Perth. This looks like your Agnes. 

Middle names were usually but not always family names. There are examples of middle names chosen to honour a midwife, a minister, the spouse of a sibling, etc., so while Tough may be a grandparent's name, it is not necessarily so.

Jane was born in Perth on 2 Nov 1843, and on her OPR baptism record her mother's maiden name is spelt Sherewood.  On her marriage record her mother's name is Jane Robertson Sherwood.

Could this be Jane Sherwood's birth ?
Jean Robertson Shearwood , birth 22nd June 1815 , baptism 25th June 1815 Perth Perth , parents George Shearwood & Margaret Young.

GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 June 20 16:52 BST (UK) »
Agnes had the middle name Tough. This is not the same name as Rough so does not back up an assumption that her grandmother was called Ann Rough. Her sister was called Ann McIntosh Christie which does back up a possibility that her grandmother was called Ann McIntosh.If the James Christie who  died in 1862 in Perth was married to Helen Rae then he is unlikely to be the same James Christie who is showing as a widower in Airdrie in 1861. The one in Airdrie is definitely the James who was married to Jane Sherwood.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 June 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
Helen Rae or Christie was in Kilmarnock in 1861 living with her widowed father David. Her two daughters Jemima (1) and Jessie (6) were with her, both born Perth ( Jemima is transcribed as Jamine and Helen as Ellen on Ancestry). Mother and daughters show as Rae or Christy on the census entry. Ellen is described as married and her occupation is Housekeeper. My guess is that her husband James was already in the Asylum in 1861. Meanwhile the other James ( the one that was the widower of Jane Sherwood) was in Airdrie with his children.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 June 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
I would add that my Mum's family (this line) has a history of always keeping the maiden name them throughout hence my Mum (now 82) is Jeanie Sherwood Thomson Brown. Her father told her of the additional important names to remember in her family being Tuff (Tough) and Eadie/Eddie.
We have Agnes Tough/Tuff Christie
We have Robert Eddie/Eadie Thomson and Peter/Patrick Buchanan Thomson etc etc
Absolutely no children mentions of Robertsons or McIntosh or indeed Rough.
I did come across that birth on for Jean Robertson Shearwood, daug of George S and Margaret Young and thought she was ours but without any other Robertsons, I'm unsure.
If the Canada James Christie family would agree my death for Agnes Tough Christie (7 April 1931 aged 81) then it all might click for me. As it is, they have her death as 1881 i.e. aged 31.

Thank you all for helping me figure this out. I'm wishing I hadn't deleted all of those people now!

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:01 BST (UK) »
The trees on Ancestry actually say Agnes Tough Christie died AFTER 1881. The trees actually include census entries for her in 1891 and 1901.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
I see! Sorry I hadn't spotted that.
So it looks as though I need to get rid of all of my James Christie the gunmaker and Ann Rough data  ;D