Author Topic: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood  (Read 3724 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:49 BST (UK) »
Okay I think I have found you proof that the James who died in 1862 is not yours. In 1851 there is a James Christie age 30 in Kirkgate Perth who is a Grocer. He has a servant called Hellin  Rae born around 1832 in Auchtermuchty. This matches with Helen Rae who married James Christie and subsequently John Roy. She also was born in Auchtermuchty in 1832. In 1851 your James was living with his wife and family. You know from his death certificate that the James who died in 1862 was the son of James Christie and Ann Rough so they are not the parents of your James who are almost certainly John Christie and Ann McIntosh. Your James Christie went to Canada.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, that is wonderful news!! I wanted them to be our line and now I know.
I need to go and add everyone back in now, thanks ever so much Isobel and Isabel.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 June 20 20:30 BST (UK) »
On 19 Feb 1863 James Christie, Letterpress Printer (Master) , widower age 43, Airdrie, married Margaret Geddes ms McDonald, Widow aged 29, Airdrie.
His parents were John Christie, Weaver and Ann Christie ms McIntosh (deceased).
[Statutory registers Marriages 644/1 54]

The Greenock Advertiser of Oct 15th 1863 carried an announcement of Margaret's death on the 10th Oct. in Airdrie.

James Christie died 15 May 1884 in Toronto, Canada and is listed as a Printer on the death record. No mention of any relatives.

As isobelw mentioned earlier, the 1871 census shows James with a wife called Margaret Watson.  there doesn't seem to be a record of that marriage.

If you have access to the British Newspaper Library, a search for "James Christie" Printer finds several mentions of him including an obituary.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 June 20 20:33 BST (UK) »
Great find IsabelH
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 12 September 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. Isobel, I do have access to BNA (until 14th Sept anyway!) but can't find the obituary. Do you know which paper it is in?

Also another question on my James Christie, printer, (b.24 Apr 1819, Perth) and Jane Robertson Sherwood (b. 22 June 1815).
I know they married on 15 Oct 1841 but was it in East Church Parish, Perth or St Paul's Parish, Perth?
I'm hoping to visit in October so would like to visit some of these places (COVID permitting).
Anyone know the venue? I can't find it online.
Many t hanks in advance  ;D

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 12 September 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
Obituary James Christie Printer:
Perthshire Constitutional & Journal 09 June 1884
If you can't find it PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you it.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 12 September 20 18:50 BST (UK) »
Also another question on my James Christie, printer, (b.24 Apr 1819, Perth) and Jane Robertson Sherwood (b. 22 June 1815).
I know they married on 15 Oct 1841 but was it in East Church Parish, Perth or St Paul's Parish, Perth
According to the index at Scotland's People they were married in the parish of Perth, which remained a single parish for secular purposes. Have you looked at the original document which is available to view at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

In 1841 there were six Church of Scotland congregations in Perth; East Church (Rev James Esdaile), Old or Middle Church (Rev George Lewis), West Church (Rev Andrew Gray), St Paul's (Rev John Findlay), St Stephen's (Gaelic - Rev John Ferguson) and St Leonard's (Rev John Milne). https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/viewer/nsa-vol10-Parish_record_for_Perth_in_the_county_of_Perth_in_volume_10_of_account_2/ pages 110 onwards.

If the original marriage record says by whom the marriage was performed, it would be possible to say that they were married by the minister of a particular congregation. However the overwhelming probability is that the wedding ceremony did not take place in any church building. It was customary for weddings to be held in the home of the bride's parents or, if she had no parents or was married away from their home, in the manse. Church weddings did not become the norm until the late 19th or ealy 20th century. See https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/marriage/

The East, Old or Middle, and West Churches were all parts of the original parish kirk of St John's. St Paul's, High Street/South Methven Street, datse from 1807. St Leonard's, in King Street, was built in 1834-1835 (not to be confused with St Leonards-in-the-Fields which dates from 1882-1885).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again Forfarian  ;D
I have just bought some credits in SP but as usual, I get nothing from the search results despite using name variants and very little info in order to maximise results.
I must have seen some certificates otherwise I wouldn't have the Church detail I have though

Thanks for the info on the Churches in Perth. Really interesting!

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
Found it! I wasn't looking in the Church registers previously!
So they did marry in St Paul's Church in the East Parish of Perth