Author Topic: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood  (Read 3714 times)

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
Interesting that Jean Robertson Sherwood was baptised 25 June 1815 by Rev William Aird Thomson of the Middle Church Parish, Perth. He has some significance in religious terms of the time.

Then was married in St Paul's Church, East Parish, Perth by Elder Rev. David Wilson.

I will need to research the significance of these two Churches and their teachings.

Thank you so much for the information regarding Perth - so very interesting and lot to learn!

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
On the same line, I have Jean Robertson Sherwood,s father -  George Sherwood (b. 1776 Dundee - I haven't found record as yet) and her mother, Margaret Young (b. 9 Jul 1781 in Perth) - they married 8 Dec 1803 Perth though I haven't yet found the record to confirm the location.

On Ancestry, there are indications that George's father was James Sherwood of St Cuthbert's in Edinburgh, who married Mary Yool (Yuill) of Dundee and they married in Kinnoull, Perth on 6 Nov 1772. Yet their first 6 children were born in Dundee and last two in Perth. I wonder why that might be.
Also, on SP, there is a James Sherwood of St Cuthbert's, Edinburgh who married Helen Anderson 16 April 1749 and I'm worried I have the wrong father of George. I notice the names of their children aren't all very familiar (eg Amelia, Benjamin, Alexander) but I guess that's possible.

Finally, is there any way to find out whether in Perth James Christie and Jean Robertson Sherwood lived or were from or do I assume Perth Town?

Apologies for all of the questions!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 19:08 BST (UK) »
I will need to research the significance of these two Churches and their teachings.
They both belonged to the Church of Scotland, which is a presbyterian denomination.

With the growth of towns and cities, the congregations outgrew the capacity of the original parish churches. Additional churches, referred to as chapels of ease, were built to accommodate the overflow. St Paul's was one such kirk. So I don't think that there is likely to have been any significance or difference in teaching between it and the Middle Kirk.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 17 September 20 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian  ;D