Author Topic: James Cock, 1803-1881 Truro, husband to Jane  (Read 4777 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Cock, 1803-1881 Truro, husband to Jane
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 10:22 GMT (UK) »
As to looking up addresses in censuses, there are two subscription services that allow you to do that: FindMyPast and The Genealogist. You may be able to access one of these at your local library.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
There are also Truro directories and Cornwall directories which you can search and/or download at the University of Leicester website. The directories for Truro have listings by street

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16445coll4

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Okay, thanks Shaun. I will have a look at those directories shortly. Unfortunately my library doesn't have either of those - just the Library Edition of Ancestry.

In the meantime, I have located the building which was once the Ship Inn (run by James Jr & Emily), based on Tony Mansell's long article, with Victorian photograph (http://bit.ly/2yl7nMr). The address is shown as being 3-4 Victoria Square (not Place) in that article, and by comparing photographs have worked out that it's this corner building, here: https://goo.gl/maps/nfprEc6Ukc32

Edit: I now have a suspicion that I was incorrectly remembering the no. 1 as Frances St relating to a Cock family, when it may have been 1 Castle St. I will know when I rediscover the record!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Edward Cock was a grocer at 1 Frances Street in the 1880's

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Edward Cock was a grocer at 1 Frances Street in the 1880's

Ah, great, thanks.

In the meantime I have established that Sarah/Sally Kellow is the Egloshayle one (at least pretty sure at this point) - just need to sort out all of the children as there are some baptisms at Megavissey Independent for a Sarah and a John with parents William and Sarah... I think that Sarah Kellows Cock may have died as well and there may have been a second Sarah and a second John, but will have to check further tomorrow.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with it all :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 November 17 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Trish! :-)

I have charted out all of the children, but a couple of them look a bit too close in timing, and I will need to try to establish if there may have been another William and Sarah Cock who produced 3 of them in Mevagissey (and there's a 3rd John if I include the one at Mevagissey!). I won't have time to complete my investigations today, but will plough on tomorrow and post again once I have either sorted everything out or have hit another wall...

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 November 17 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Well I've managed to establish that there were in fact two couples called William and Sally/Sarah Cock - the ones in the Mevagissey area had 3 children, one of whom was a John, but apart from finding her maiden name (Billing), I don't know if or how they were connected, as yet. That can wait.

I've added the census info re Frances St. (- so it looks as if what is now the Wig & Pen was once a grocer, although according to the pubs of Truro article, it was also called the Star Hotel in 1864, so perhaps became a grocery store for some time before turning back into a pub). Being on the corner of Frances and Castle, I wonder if in fact the different addresses recorded for various Cocks actually refer to the same Cocks? I will have to go through those again...

I've hit the wall with the father of the William Cock who was married to Sally Kellow, as far as parentage is concerned. There are no likely baptisms in Truro; one in St Just in Roseland (1760) and one closer to Sally's neck of the woods, at St Minver (1752), but there are a lot of other potential candidates and I can't think of a way of linking any of them definitively, or at least more strongly, with my William. Will have another look with fresh eyes tomorrow.  ???

Edit: A quick last note. Looking at the history of the Wig and Pen in the pubs article, it was a pub called the Star in 1864 and then again in 1933. However the Census records of 1851 and 1861 seem to indicate that there was a Cocks' grocer shop in Frances St at that time, and in 1881 Edward was a grocer at no.1. Perhaps there was more than one dwelling involved?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 November 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Truro directories for 1883 and 1888, the Star was at 25 Frances Street, next to the Globe at 24.